Stage 1 Cycle 1

For my origin piece, I chose a cultural critique I wrote for my first year writing class (English 125). In this piece, I discussed the lack of respect, in comparison to the rest of the world, that Americans hold for our elderly. More specifically, I delved deeper into the inherent fear we have towards displaying age, commonly seen in several plastic surgeries and procedures meant to mitigate the effects of aging.

My paper focused a lot on a comparison between American sentiment towards the elderly in relation to that of other countries; now I would like to dig deeper into the semi-recent boom in the plastic surgery industry, and the true addiction some people have for these types of procedures. In order to do this, I would like to create a short story from the perspective of a character who is addicted to plastic surgery.

According to the article, “Learn How to Write a Short Story,” writers should focus on using few characters and sticking to one single point of view. The article also points out that by limiting the number of characters, sticking to one perspective becomes increasingly easier. Moreover, the author of the article states that the writer of a short story should strive to limit the time frame of the story, and be selective in the details he or she includes. Because short stories are so short, every word counts and must hold significant meaning.

The article, “How to Write a Short Story From Start to Finish,” tells its readers that the heart of a good short story lies in the first line. According to the article, the first line of a short story should be “Perfect,” and immediately draw the reader in. Some tips they give for having a perfect first line include:

1. Invite the reader to the scene
  2. Surprise the reader
  3. Establish a voice
  4. Be clear
  5. Tell the entirety of a story in a single sentence

Englishgrammar.org writes that a great short story is heavily dependent on having a good plot. IN order to ensure your story has a great plot, this website encourages the use of crises, conflict, and an effective resolution. Additionally, when composing the story’s plot, the writer should have a general message in mind. These messages could resemble those such as: “Honesty is the best policy,” or “The Victory of virtue over vice.” By having meaningful messages in mind, the writer has a sense of guidance as to where the story should go, and can therefore more easily draw up a successful plot line with a lasting effect.