Challenge Journal #3: The (sometimes maddening) research process

I know this sounds incredibly nerdy, but I’m actually looking forward to the research portion of my capstone project. The thing is, I’m not sure how I’ll include my findings (especially the genre-specific ones) into my story naturally since my project will be written in a creative non-fiction form. However, I hope the approach to incorporate this information will make itself clear as time progresses, and as I start to begin reading the books on my research list, but I still find myself worrying about it now. Trusting the process is difficult, isn’t it?

I suppose my fears about this originate from my memories writing middle and high school research papers…gosh, it was like pulling teeth—so painful! I didn’t necessarily mind the researching (when I enjoyed the topic), but there was something so mundane about inserting evidence here and there and recording the sources on the bibliography pages. There was one instance where I was writing about Stradivarius, and as much as I loved reading about violin history, I became bored so quickly. There were so many opinions from different authors and experts about why his violins sound amazing (some think it’s because of the varnish, fyi), and trying to sort through them to uncover the truth was grueling. I am happy to say that I don’t think it’ll be this way for the annotated bibliographies we will create for our projects, because our kind and encouraging teachers designed it to be more open-ended on purpose. 🙂

I have to say, I am so excited to see how all of our projects end up! This is such a fabulous opportunity to express ourselves in whatever writing format we choose with whatever we are passionate about—what a gift this is!

So, here’s a toast to the research process! May it never become mind-numbing 😉

^me researching for middle and high school papers…

One thought to “Challenge Journal #3: The (sometimes maddening) research process”

1. Hey Rebekah! I can definitely relate to the difficulty of doing research. Even though we get to devote a lot of time to a topic that we care about, it can still be hard. We have ideas in our heads, and we’re not quite sure how it will mesh with the other works from our research. The final product may be much more different than we imagine. The past few days, I’ve found it hard to get myself to start the research. Doing the work in a new location has helped, so has finishing the first book on the reading list. However, simply talking to others about the project has helped the most. It keeps it at the forefront of my mind. I also want to be able to give these people an update next time they ask about it! I’m excited for your project and am happy that you’re excited too! Everyone is working on such interesting projects. It will be fun to watch them grow.