Rysztak Challenge Journal 2: What to say, and then, how to say it?

Having successfully compiled a good list of data, I now struggle with the hardest part of speechwriting (for me at least) what does the principal – not myself – want to say?

Having worked on speeches for AG Sessions, I knew the basics of his speeches: stats/examples on his big three issues of opioids, illegal immigration, or violent crime. The speeches were more or less the same thing, but the language was changed – the goal of which my project is centered around. But when writing a new speech, like a graduation ceremony for police officers or a thank-you to summer interns, it’s hard to figure out exactly, in these moments, what does the principal hope to say?

In reality, he/she probably doesn’t care. But the words still have to be good. The speech, still authentic.

I’m now faced with that problem again, as I write/rewrite/edit drafts of my speeches, it’s hard to figure out what an “imaginary principal” wants to say.

Do I pretend that I have the exact same policy preferences and speech tendencies as my principal? Which is honestly an unrealistic dream of all speechwriters.

I would love to hear suggestions on how to fix this solution: do I create some version of a principal? Do I use an example principal’s voice? Do I use my voice, as if I were the principal?

I think this is an extremely important question because it would help keep the speeches consistent and grounded, and hopefully as realistic as possible.

Having the data already compiled makes this challenge both slightly easier and slightly more difficult. I have a guiding content point that needs to be addressed, but how to say it – and what to say about it is still difficult. Take, for example, the following content point:

“US trade deficits generally are good for Americans. The trade deficit is not debt. A growing trade deficit…is good for the economy. It is typically a signal that global investors are confident in America’s economic future. America’s trade deficit increases whenever non-Americans choose to increase the amount they invest in the United States….More investment means expansion of existing businesses, more new businesses, higher worker productivity, and more output-enhancing activities.”

Quotes like this provide valuable guidance – but phrasing them in a way that makes you able to successfully capture an audience still prooves difficult.