Sitting Easy With the Unknown

is always a weird, uneasy place to sit. Its the seat that you are sitting in right before sitting on the edge of your seat and that seat that you find right after you found your seat at all.

Sitting easy with the unknown is the challenge of the day.  In the project proposal, by nature, we’ve done a lot of foreshadowing… planning you might call it.  Definitely a VERY necessary phase in the process, planning gives structure and is the backbone of any good project.  It is breakable and binding all at the same time.  Most importantly, though, planning is something all creative thinkers need throughout their process to fall back on when direction or intention is lost.

HOWEVER, planning in projects like we do in the proposals is to assume tasks and plan to LATER find substantive information.  How do we know what we will find?  What if we were wrong?  What if we thought existed, doesn’t?

This is to sit easy with the unknown.  To plan to find something, to prove something, or to contribute to something… that’s what we all have done.  Think of it as unfulfilled promises to ourselves and to our audiences.  The goal is to fill those promises (or to find a way to provide with equal substance if you lead yourself to a new outcome).

All to say, that planning for a project as large as this sometimes feels a bit awkward.  I’ve said I’ll do something.  But I have yet to do it… or even know if I CAN do it in the way I thought I would!

We’ve planned before.  We can do it again!  Plans change, so do we and so does our interests.  What comes will come ~

Caroline Petersen

Caroline is a contributing writer to the Sweetland Minor in Writing Blog. She is an architect in training and spends a lot of her time sipping on cappuccinos and discussing elements of malfunctioning building features. She is a city girl who spent her elementary summers in the middle of Iowa at her aunt and uncles farm. She is a woman of many (unusual) facets that are traditionally fairly useless.

One thought to “Sitting Easy With the Unknown”

1. Caroline, this speaks to me. You know how many times I wrote “TBD” on my production plan schedule? At first I would have called it an embarrassing amount. However, now I like to think it just may be my own very mature acceptance of exactly your point. And while I wish I could really attribute my actions to a state of enlightenment like you’ve expressed above, that is not the case. Although, you have managed to calm my anxiety over flexible due dates. I think you’re right. We have to be prepared to change. Otherwise, how will we ever discover anything? What is the point of research? It’s like with the Scientific Method: you choose a question and a potential answer and then you prove it right or wrong. But either side of the line you end up on, you’ve discovered something. Thanks for making me excited to leap into the unknown, now we just have to jump! I’ll leave you with a quote I heard today that you might enjoy, “Be comfortable with being uncomfortable.” ~learning~ amirite