Challenge Journal – Executing Transitions

After two months of brainstorming, researching, and organizing, I’ve finally put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and started writing. It’s relieving to finally see my vision take start to take shape, but it’s also presented me with a new set of challenges. Now, instead of wrestling with big picture stuff, I find myself wrestling with the little details – word choices, design elements, and structural framework.

Image result for it's always something GIF

Furthermore, because the piece that I’m writing is different from anything else that I’ve ever written, some of these challenges are new to me. For example, my Capstone project consists of a handful of stand-alone scenes that are meant to represent “protagonist thinking.” Instead of talking about protagonist thinking directly, however, I’m trying to show the essence of it through these scenes, which can each function independently as their own short story. Even though I don’t directly mention protagonist thinking, I still want the reader to be aware that the stories are grounded in this concept. To achieve this, I’m interspersing different artifacts from my research on protagonist thinking in between the scenes to help keep the reader grounded and give them a reminder of what the stories are meant to represent.

What I’m struggling with is how to present these artifacts in between my scenes. In addition to re-centering the reader, I also want them to be clear indicators of a break in my narrative. From a design perspective, I’ve been trying to figure out how to accomplish this. Last year, in my re-purposing project, I employed a similar tactic of using a quote in between the two sections of my paper. The quote spoke to the themes that I was trying to convey, and I dedicated an entire page to it, even though the quote itself only took up a few lines. I want to do something similar in my Capstone project, but since my project is on Wix (as opposed to Word), I’m trying to figure out the best way to do it.┬áSome of the artifacts will also be video clips instead of written text, adding another layer of complexity to the design of these transitions.

I’ve thought about using featured images/backgrounds for each of the artifacts, so that the artifact takes up the entire screen when the reader scrolls down. Then, as they continue scrolling, the text below the artifact sort of “eats” the image/background instead of the image/background moving up on the page. I’m not sure exactly how to describe it, but I know that I’ve seen it before, and I think that it might be an effective way to go about presenting these transitions in my piece. If anybody knows what I’m talking about, or how to accomplish this on Wix, any advice would be much appreciated! I know that the answer is out there…it’s just a matter of finding it.

One thought to “Challenge Journal – Executing Transitions”

1. Jon, I think using transitions in this way will be really interesting and will keep the reader engaged. I don’t know how to help technically but in writing, I’ve been dealing with transitions too. One thought exercise I’ve been directed to take is to think of the work as an album, each track flowing into each other but not necessarily needing to be about the same thing. I don’t know if this will help you but for me it works to think about what comes just before and after a transition, making something natural come in the middle. My work is in poetry, so I’ve been thinking about changing direction literally like implementing transitions horizontally in a mostly vertical reading experience. Maybe it will help to think of transitions as a slight detraction that relates to what you’re writing. An example of nice transitions that I enjoy is Childish Gambino’s Because the Internet album. There’s short tracks that mostly work as mood transitions within the album. He did this again because he wrote a screenplay to coincide with the album, using the songs as transitions, so maybe that can be inspiration for you. Have you thought of using transitions using a different mode than text? I know you’re thinking about image but sound and art may be cool as well!