What’s the worst that could happen?

Well, let me tell you.

Ray asked us in class last week to brainstorm what the most significant implication of our project could be. So far, I’ve come up with a few.

The first is that I could paint an unflattering picture of professionals in the journalism field and some of my closest friends. Part of my project features interviews with journalists and peers of mine from the Daily. The interviews themselves are great, as each person has provided honest answers about moments in which they’ve entirely doubted working in/going into journalism. But currently, I’m struggling to figure out how to best transfer those to my site.

I worry about the worst case scenario. For example, one of my friends explained that he doesn’t see himself working in journalism for more than five years. If, God forbid, an employer found that statement, I don’t think it’d reflect very well on my friend. I know how unlikely that sounds, but it’s something weighing on my mind anyway. The obvious answer would seem to be anonymity, but I worry that may make the project seem less genuine or legitimate.

The second concern is probably more realistic. All of my writing is immensely personal. So far, I feel that I’ve done a good job of not holding back in my writing. But I don’t want the project to be void of my genuine feelings, and I don’t want a reader to misconstrue my writing as having a simple message like “I hate journalism” or “Journalism isn’t a viable profession.”

Right now, I think the content I’ve generated on the front-end of the project makes it clear that isn’t the case. But others may think otherwise.

So ultimately, what’s the worst that could happen? I’d say these two concerns sum it up pretty well.

One thought to “What’s the worst that could happen?”

1. Kevin, I think your concerns are very valid and would be something I would be worried about too. I have a similar problem where a few of my poems are a raw response to a remark made by people I’m friends with and I’m worried if they put two and two together that they’ll be upset with me. To work through this instead of around it, I’ve been trying to back up what I’m saying with complete honesty. So I think you’re doing a great job in your approach and thought process in not holding back. I think the way your position your narrative chronologically will help with this as well. When I’ve talked to you about this before, your project started out with you loving journalism over time then losing it, so I think that arc will lend itself to honesty and your conclusions to not continue with it as a profession. I also think the circumstances you describe and your friend’s vision in not being in the industry for too long is just being realistic. I think everyone who is involved in big J know that everything is changing and not how it used to be. Is that a good or a bad thing? Have you thought about including some section like your pros and cons in what went into your final decision? And what are the positive and negative attributes of journalism right now? I think it would be cool to include an inside picture of what it’s really like instead of the audience’s assumptions. It seems that whenever the industry is addressed it’s dead. Is that true and why is that?