Cat’s autobiography

I’ve probably said the word “cats” too many times this semester.

I’ve been writing about cats for all of my experiments and they are all attempts to experiment on a compare-and-contrast essay I’ve written somewhat a year ago. In that essay, I compare cats to humans and what we can learn from cats about being interdependent. After experimenting with script writing, poetry writing and journaling, I have decided to continue the journal experiment into the final project for this class.

I am very much looking forward to read all the models for this project. I have these models in my list now:

1. “Gramma” by John S. Owen
  2. “Diary of a Cat: True Confessions and Lifelong Observations of a Well-Adjusted House

Cat” by Leigh Rutledge

3. “Flowers for Algernon” by Daniel Keyes (not about cat but from this book, I want to focus on the diary as a genre and its convention)

Perhaps I am most excited to read the models because I have always wanted for a cat to talk in human languages. So these models (well, except the third one) could help me live out my imagination of talking cats. I think cats are quirky creatures and in writing they are always portrayed as this very lofty and non-chalant character. They sound like annoying sister characters in movies and films. But we still love them. The cats.

Compared to the other two experiments, this journal is written fully from the cat’s point-of-view. I find this difference between all my experiments to be the reason I want to make this the final project. The challenge for me is to write about humans as if I am separate from them. I think it’s a useful strategy to ponder and discover more about our behaviors because if we view ourselves from a humanistic view, we tend to be biased and too forgiving. So if a cat were to comment about us, they will be brutally honest but it’s true honesty.

I can’t wait to see where this project is taking me. Will it make me discover more about interdepence? Will it make me want more cats? We’ll see.