Challenge Journal 3: The loose ends

It’s that point in the semester where we all look around and say, “Oh, it’s literally due in a few days.” Perhaps I am odd for this, but I enjoy this time of the semester. I have always loved the “crunch time” that comes before feeling relieved. I remember this feeling during the Gateway project. I loved staying up late the two days leading up to the due date. It was thrilling to know that I would eventually have to say, “I have to be happy with this.” The Capstone project brings some new challenges. I am faced with not only cleaning up the loose ends of the project, but of my time as an undergraduate here at the University of Michigan. I would be lying if I said that my project is at the point where I am merely tying up any loose ends. I am definitely still writing a few pieces (please tell me I am not alone in this). But, it is nearing the end – of everything.

Thus, my challenge has been tying up the loose ends even if I have not reached that point in my progress yet. I am overthinking my writing, spending extra time on assignments, and soaking in that oh-so-loving feeling of stress. All of this is coming from realizing that my days left on this campus are numbered. However, this feeling of wanting to make the most of the lasts is actually preventing me from finishing assignments in a timely manner because a part of me doesn’t want them to end.

This feeling is similar to how I felt during my Gateway project in that I enjoyed working on the project so much that I never felt satisfied when it was “over.” However, the stakes are much higher now. I know that I will finish my Capstone and think, “Is it really over?” I will always feel like there are more loose ends that need tying-up.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or are ya’ll excited to be completely project-free?

Anna

One thought to “Challenge Journal 3: The loose ends”

1. Hey Anna!
    I literally just wrote my challenge journal about this feeling! So, although I don’t have much great advice to offer, I will say you are not alone! Also, you are not alone in still writing – I probably will still be writing Tuesday night! hahaha…
    Anyways, something that has helped me try to feel satisfied with my end project is that I know that it does not have to end the day that we turn it in. The beautiful thing about a capstone project is that it actually means something, both to you and to the world. For that reason, it can continue to evolve if you ever desire to pick it back up! When I turned in the essay from my Eng325 class about my mom having cancer (the one that inevitably became my first essay for this project), I felt that there was something missing. But I had to turn it in, so I was left feeling unsatisfied. Flash forward a year and a half, and I am continuing right where I left off!
    None of this is to say that you are in any way obligated to finish the project later, BUT remember it is there if you want it. Regardless, good luck in the next couple of days! I’ll be sending you good vibes, and I can’t wait to see the final project at the show case 🙂
    -Madison