Periods Galore

So, throughout this semester, I’ve been working to transform my period manifesto (yes, I wrote a manifesto about periods whilst in pain on my period) into different genres that could capture the words/meaning of the manifesto in a different light.

Source: giphy

Growing up, I’ve always associated having my period with being unclean or feeling embarrassed, even though more than half of our world’s population goes through the same exact thing every single month for a large portion of their lifespan. And lately, I’ve been getting fed up with it. This project has been a way for me to express my feelings of “rebellion” while also allowing me to normalize the idea that women menstruate—I menstruate—regularly and it’s okay to talk about it.

Source: giphy

Source: giphy

For my final project I have decided to create a zine dedicated to periods. This zine will be both informative as well as anecdotal and FUN. It’s going to have content ranging from tips to deal with cramps and worst period memories to frequently asked questions by guys and why it’s important to normalize periods. The last page (the back of the cover) will be the original manifesto! The sketch draft has given me a lot of help in planning out what I’d like to put on each page and how exactly I want the zine to be formatted. I’m pretty nervous at having to continue this project mainly because the media I have been working with to create the zine can be quite obnoxious and tedious to use. I am also worried that the end piece won’t publish the way I am hoping for it to onto my website because I’d much rather the actual flipbook appearance than simple screenshots. However, I have already finished a few of the pages through experiment 1 and am really looking forward to seeing how the final product will come out to be. Here’s a sneak peak of the cover!

I hope that by the end of this project others will learn more about womanhood, periods, and the power of understanding your body and being proud of how it works—I know I have. And special shout out to girls everywhere who have to work and go about the stresses and struggles that come with living even when on their periods because cramps, mood swings, and all the other side effects can be very hard to deal with. But, you should be proud because you are doing a fantastic job!

source: giphy

3 thoughts to “Periods Galore”

1. Aw thanks hahaha, I’m glad it made your night! A zine is basically a short version of a magazine, usually self-published and very low key! Most are handmade or printed, I think, but some are also online publications!

1. Ok the Natalie Portman gif scared a bit, not gonna. I’ve never seen her looked so intense (actually wait Annihilation was beyond intense). But I think she certainly displays the passion you have for this project. I know your zine is going to turn out great, and I can’t wait to see it.

Also your shout out at the end… <3 <3