Introduction to the Genre of Infographics

For my first experiment’s genre, I have decided on an infographic. Common types of infographics include informational, comparison, timeline, and how to. Infographics are the highest shared content type, and according to MIT, 90% of information sent to the brain is visual. I am interested in this genre because of its ability to convey information in an artistic, thorough, and concise manner. Usually all of the infographics I see easily catch the reader’s attention with the bright colors, recognizable symbols, and organized layout. With increased readership because of those qualities, it is easier to get important messages across and have people remember it.

During the time that people started eating Tide Pods, my chemistry professor showed us this infographic.

For the most part, this infographic is representative of its genre.  To be an infographic, there should be an overall burning question or problem that it aims to solve. Then, there are other relevant facts to answer sub questions. In this case, the main purpose would be why Tide Pods should not be eaten, and the sub questions would be like what’s inside a Tide Pod and what happens when someone eats one.

Infographics also make use of statistics, charts, graphs, and icons. The purpose of these depictions is to allow for minimal use of text to display data, explain concepts, simplify ideas, and show relationships. They make abstract ideas much easier to understand. In the example I showed, chemical depictions and structures were used because they best enhanced the text. It is important to make sure that the structure of the data enhances the information because sometimes words do just fine in representing the information. It is also just as important to ensure that the graph or chart accurately represents the data, as mistakes can easily be made during the process of creation.

Flow is one of the most important aspects to consider when making an infographic. Based on the purpose and type of information that is presented, both the layout and information must flow. Regarding layout, there needs to be an appropriate structure, like two columns vs. one column. The format and colors should remain consistent throughout the infographic. Regarding the words, they should start with what the reader will gain from the infographic and then dive into the details. That way it will be like a story for the readers, leading to excitement and curiosity as they read. When thinking about the words, one key point is to know who the audience is, especially for the purposes of technical language and style. The Tide Pods infographic manages flow well in both of these categories.  The two column and blue scheme format remains consist throughout, and the inclusion of chemical structures and simple chemistry terms works well for their audience with a basic chemistry background.

Here are some websites with more examples and tips on infographics.

https://venngage.com/blog/how-to-make-an-infographic-in-5-steps/

https://coschedule.com/blog/how-to-make-an-infographic/

https://icons8.com/articles/what-is-an-infographic/

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/marketing/how-make-beautiful-and-effective-infographics

2 thoughts to “Introduction to the Genre of Infographics”

1. I think this is a really interesting genre to explore because I honestly would never have thought of it, but you’re totally correct in your analysis of how it serves a very specific purpose. What piece are you experimenting with?

2. Hey Natalie,
    I think you did a really great job at explaining what an infographic is and the purpose of it. I think it is important to do so because in order to understand a genre fully, we have to understand where it got its beginning. I also think that the infographic is super relevant to today’s society, because most things that people pay attention to are bright and concise, rather than heavy essays or dull, boring images. I think it will be really interesting to see what you do with this!