Ryan Clemmons – Intro

Hey everyone! My name is Ryan Clemmons and I am from Westland, Michigan – about 30 minutes away from AA. Most people haven’t heard of Westland, so if you’ve heard of Canton, it’s right next door. I am a Junior studying Political Science and Sociology, with a minor in writing (obviously). The current plan is to attend law school – at least that’s what I tell my dad to keep him sane. I took a Research Methods course this summer and fell in love with it, which has me heavily considering possible PhD programs as well.

I’m an only child and I live with my dad. We are super close, even though he refuses to let me call him my “best friend”, he is. He’s my hero in more ways than one. My maternal grandparents (Nana and Papa) live three houses down from me, and have been a huge part of my life. My dad’s mom (Grandma) lives a few streets over, and is the person I call when just about anything happens in my life. Good grade, bad grade, new pens, bad break up: Grandma knows about it.

Here at Michigan, I have played on the club volleyball team since freshman year. I’ve played volleyball year round since middle school, and though I chose not to pursue the sport in college, I couldn’t imagine my life without it. I am also in a pre-law and public policy co-ed fraternity, and I work at the law library.

Some of my favorite past-times include listening to podcasts, bullet journaling (if you haven’t heard of this, look it up – it’s like an entire subculture and it’s changed my life), reading (not as much as I should), watching and talking about sports, and intaking as much television and movies as physically possible. I wish I knew how much of my life I’ve spent in front of a tv, it’s probably a lot. I love any movie with Dermot Mulroney, and I’ve watched just about all of them with my Grandma. I have more cinematic interests than mid 90’s rom-coms, but I’ll save those for another post. My favorite sports are college football – the college categorization is important – and professional baseball. I do not particularly like or follow professional football, and my only claim to basketball is winning my March Madness bracket last year.

I (accidentally) have taken two ULWR classes thus far at UMich, and in both classes I felt like I experienced the most growth as a writer and a person. When I came across the minor in writing, it appealed to me for two reasons: the ease with which I would fulfill at least the ULWR part of the minor, and the opportunity to develop myself further as a writer. Writing has always held a special place in my heart. When I was young, I wrote many fiction short stories, if they could even be called that. In high school, the ACT-style focus of writing turned me away from the practice, and more recently I’ve developed a love for academic writing. I think people who enjoy and care about writing are the best kind of people, and I’m excited that the minor will allow me to get to know all of you.

2 thoughts to “Ryan Clemmons – Intro”

1. I definitely can attest to living a life in front of the TV. Especially when I was younger. What’s the best thing you’ve watched in the past year, something that you just couldn’t stop talking about?

Also, I love the fact that all your family lives so close! I bet that makes holidays and birthdays a lot easier to celebrate! 🙂

2. Ryan,
    I feel like I kept reading this all the way, and at each stop thought “Wow, I really relate to that.” From the pre-law to the sports to the last sentence about writers being the best kind of people, I connected with basically all of it. Thanks for sharing about yourself, and I look forward to getting to know you and everyone else through this process.