A legend dies!

This is my last blog post!  My legendary prose ceases today…  how tragic!

Let’s get right to it.

Throughout the semester, you have all seen Guthub grow into a semi-finished product.  I say semi-finished because I’m only comfortable saying it’s “done” when the image in my head materializes onto the screen.  This has benefits and drawbacks.  The benefit is Guthub will always be improving, but the drawback is far more serious:  I will never be satisfied.

While I’ll be motivated to add features related to emailing suggestions, bug reporting, and improving the user experience, there’s no solid finish line.  This non-existent finish line is the relief I want to feel at finally creating a finished website that I feel comfortable listing on LinkedIn or my grad school applications.  The problem is that I have no idea when that’ll happen.  Because this is a website that is designed to be interactive with users, I have no idea when optimization will be done, let alone how to do it in the first place.

Don’t get me wrong:  I see how impressive the website looks.  I really am proud of what I’ve accomplished this semester and everyone’s input has made it infinitely better.  But I’d be lying if I said I was satisfied.  I guess I don’t know when it’s okay to step away from the computer and press submit.  I mean, I know I can do that now, but this goes beyond the classroom.  In other words, I want to advertise this site for side income and most importantly, to grad admission boards.

The website isn’t ready.  Yes, for this class, I’ve reached beyond the point that I needed to get to.  But for the actual purpose of this site? Not even close. The apps are polluted with bad user experience and are still missing the major features that are needed to make the app actually usable and a website that people would pay for.

The thing is, I enjoy this dissatisfaction.  I like making a hobby out of improving my site.  But it’s getting to the point that the features I want to change require more time than a traditional hobby would allow.  I have school, albeit only for a few more weeks, I have work, I have friends, I have cats, I have a boyfriend, not to mention my plans to start grad school next year.  In order to truly create the website I want, I can’t have most of my time taken up by other responsibilities, the progress would be so slow I wouldn’t be able to release the site for years.  This doesn’t even touch on how much work would be required to actually address any bugs or issues users are facing in a timely manner.

I hate working on someone else’s schedule.  So much so, I’m hesitant about grad school, which will inevitably lead to being under someone’s wing in their lab when I’m a postdoc.  Do I want this?  I’m finding myself more and more attracted to the idea of self-employment and getting most of my money from this site.  But that’s a risk.  A huge risk.  Risk doesn’t even begin to encapsulate how much of a risk it actually is.

Some days I want to take that jump.

Some days I don’t.

Regardless, I’m excited to see where I land.

3 thoughts to “A legend dies!”

1. This is insane! Just the idea of making that much money from a website is unfathomable to me. Also just realizing how big this project may become, and how much of a place in the world it may have makes me stupidly happy. The fact that you aren’t satisfied yet means your website has so many more places to go, it means your website actually has a future.

ANYWAY to more constructive feedback (i guess) -> I know you didn’t put your logo in this blog post, but I need to tell you HOW GOOD IT IS. I love your logo and honestly don’t understand how you made it LIKE why don’t you just do graphic design? Who needs Ph. D.s and scientists when you can make graphics?

Also, thanks for all of your podcast recommendations this semester! Nancy is a real fav, and I’ll give Love and Radio another shot I GUESS. Anyway keep the recs coming, I love having a podcast buddy.

1. Yeah I have to second Eva on this one; this website is going to be SUCH a money maker. Take advantage of that and patent this thing in your name soon! Also, you have to keep in mind that you can never look on your own work with the same admiration you have for someone else’s work. Idk if that makes sense, but I’m just trying to say that you’re always going to be more critical of something if you made it. Literally everyone in the class thinks your website is so beautiful, useful, and meaningful to this world. Your desire to make it even greater just shows how passionate you are about it, and what kind of potential it has to evolve into something even greater (which seems impossible because it’s already pretty great).

I also really love your logo. I know I might have mentioned this, but it looks like the medical logo with the snake and the stick around it, so I think that’s some deep symbolism.

And I understand the fear of working on someone else’s schedule, but I guarantee you that isn’t the case with all graduate students! My graduate student’s PI is so hands-off he isn’t even in Michigan. My graduate student does whatever he wants, whenever, so long as he yields results. So, I hope you can find a lab that deserves you and respects your time 🙂 they’d be lucky to have you!

2. Zach,

There’s so much that I want to say in response to this post. First, I am so happy with how far your project comes, but I really really really relate to the feeling of not feeling like you’ve done enough! I LOVE how passionate you are about this project and I think that your passionate for it truly shines through in the site and in the essay that accompanies it! I think that anyone who views this site will be able to see it. Don’t be afraid to allow this passionate to fuel you, but to also take your time! In my opinion, the longer and longer you wait to release this to the public, the greater it will be and the more money you will able to make from it. The better it is, the more people will PAY! So don’t be afraid to take some risks with the site, try new things, and make it everything that YOU want it to be. At the end of the day, no matter what everyone else thinks, you are the one attaching your name to it so you want it to representative of your vision.

Lastly,
    TAKE. THE. RISKS. I truly believe that the only failures that happen in life are the chances that we don’t take! What do you have to loose if making money from the site doesn’t work? NOTHING. You’ll likely end up in grad school, an esteem professional with a doctorate in something cool, and either way you’ll be GREAT! Don’t see yourself shoot… you got this!!

I’m so excited to see where you end up and also how far GutHub goes!!
    Sydni