Getting creative while keeping it real; Creative Nonfiction

For my next experiment, I want to try writing a creative nonfiction piece where I will be able to bring in personal stories about sexual assault and account for the real memory and event that happened to Dr. Blasey Ford.

Lee Gutkind defines creative nonfiction as “true stories well told.” This simple definition fits perfectly into my goals for my final experiment. Previously, I have taken a very broad and general position, analyzing images from the hearings and explaining its symbolism. For my third experiment, I want to make the far away hearings, not so broad and far away. I want to tie in what has been happening in the Supreme Court, with the #MeToo movement, and with my personal relationships. While mine might be different and not “as bad,” every form of assault is horrible, and every woman should be able to tell her story and be believed for the problem to come to an end.

Through a creative nonfiction piece I’ll be able to engage my readers through a storytelling genre but enlighten and teach them as well, as the piece is nonfiction; The goal of creative nonfiction is to “make nonfiction stories read like fiction so that your readers are as enthralled by fact as they are by fantasy.”

I’m leaning toward public creative nonfiction, because I believe my topic, while relating personally to me, also encapsulates a more universal topic of sexual assault in the United States.

https://www.creativenonfiction.org/online-reading/what-creative-nonfiction

Skimming through some examples of creative nonfiction, I saw they were split up with dialogue. The dialogue puts the nonfiction in creative nonfiction. Some include images throughout the essay, some just include images at the beginning. There are many vivid details and describers that draw the reader in and prove to the reader that this is in fact a true story. The stories reel you in and make you attached to the characters through emotion.

https://www.creativenonfiction.org/online-reading/essays

3 thoughts to “Getting creative while keeping it real; Creative Nonfiction”

1. Hey Sophie! I am excited to see where you go with this piece. You are FINALLY bringing in some personal rhetoric like I know you have wanted to for some time. You mentioned dialogue… do you think you will input dialogue from your own personal experiences?

2. I wanted to note how brave you are for being so open about this. I feel like the whole Kavanaugh situation is really confusing and scary for a lot of women, and I seriously commend you for being able to speak up about it. I also think the creative nonfiction genre gives you a bit more space to work with in terms of takeaways and morals too. Nice work!

3. I think this is a great way to explore another way of communicating this story/your topic to others. With creative nonfiction, you can make the public more interested in the cause and write in an easy to understand format. Are you going to focus on a specific event that happened or the whole trial in general?