How to write a monologue

If you are ever writing a monologue, here is a great place to learn the basics!

Monologues are a great genre to use when you have real and raw feelings to express. These feelings do not need to be sugar coated. They are used when a character has strong emotions, conflicts, or awakenings they want to tell another character or the audience.

The aspect that makes monologues so real also allows for a lot of freedom when writing monologues. As long as you stick to the character that you are writing from the perspective of (which can be hard when that character is not you), there is a great deal of freedom to write what ever you desire.

It is also very important to consider the audience when writing monologues. This is because monologues are read out loud to either a specific person, group, or audience. They are not meant to just be read. They are meant for others to hear.

Here are some quick tips to know when writing monologues:

1. Determine the perspective of the monologue.
  2. Determine the purpose of the monologue. What exactly are you trying to convey?
  3. Who will you be addressing this monologue to? Audience is everything.
  4. Think of a monologue as if it is a story. What is the beginning, middle, and end?
  5. The best way to learn how to write a monologue is by reading other monologues.

To help write my speech, I analyzed two examples of monologues. Here is what I learned from them:

Hamlet: A Monologue from the Play by William Shakespeare.

This was one of the first monologues I remember reading in high school. I remember it very well because I actually had to memorize it for an English class. Hamlet’s monologue about deciding whether to exist or not to exemplifies what the genre of monologues truly means, which is why it was so helpful reading this monologue before writing my own. Monologues are supposed to express inner emotions. They are meant to be raw and real. In plays for example, they are read at crucial times, either directed at another character or the audience. In Hamlet’s monologue, he is directing his words towards the audience.

Joker Monologue: The Dark Knight

This is another example of a famous monologue I analyzed before writing my own monologue. Monologue are everywhere. This is a monologue from the popular move “The Dark Night.” This monologue is great at revealing the Joker’s true feelings. It is also important in the movie because the Joker does not reveal much about himself and his feelings until this monologue. This example shows how impactful monologues can be. They do not have to be long or written eloquently, they just have to express a character’s true feelings to other characters or the audience.

Good luck writing your next monologue! I hope this blog post helps!

One thought to “How to write a monologue”

1. Great post! Your emphasis on the audience is especially important: in monologues, you are often connecting directly with the audience not only through words, but through visual cues like body language and through tone of voice. One has to really consider the multimodal aspects of monologues to convey his or her point with accuracy and emotion. While I don’t think you need to write directly to the audience, it’s important to consider them so that a strong emotional connection is made between the audience and the character. Great work!