Introduction to Blogs

For my first two experiments, I did an op-ed and a photo essay. These experiments focused a lot on what college essays are, specifically if they accurately represent people and if the questions and the nature of college essays as a whole give students the opportunity to present themselves as complex, honest individuals.

For my third experiment, I want to move away from exploring the intent and results of college essays and focus more on the content of my college essay itself. I wrote a lot about anxiety and how it has made me a stronger individual, a more capable leader, and a more empathetic person to help others deal with their anxiety. All of this is true, but the nature of the competitive college application process encourages people to present obstacles as ones they have fully overcome and are better because of. In reality, anxiety disorders are often chronic and lifelong. People in my group suggested I annotate my college essay to comment on things that were unsaid then and now. Incorporating this idea, I’m going to write a blog discussing this.

Blogs are a pretty versatile genre and allow for individual expression, but there are a few general guidelines to follow.

• Find a focus. This allows you to target and retain a certain audience that is consistently interested in the content you’re discussing. It also gives you more credibility, rather than dabbling in various areas that you might not know that much about, or write or think about often.
  • Make your blogs interactive. Using links, pictures, gifs, and other interactive elements make blogs more interesting and informative. Links provide more information for people who may be further interested in a topic you’re discussing and give credibility and support to what you’re talking about. Graphics make your blog more interesting, fun, and easy to read.
  • Be relatable and authentically yourself. Blogs are supposed to express the voices and opinions of individuals, and the best writing is when it is authentic.

The most important part of blog writing is to be yourself and talk about things you’re passionate about. If you do this, your blog will attract people who are interested in what you have to say. And since everyone here has gone through the college application process, and many college students experience chronic anxiety, I’m hoping this will be interesting.

3 thoughts to “Introduction to Blogs”

1. I think the idea of a blog is really smart. Like you said, you want to steer away from the types of experiments in the past, and I think this is the perfect way to do so! I can’t wait to see how you do this.

2. Olivia,
    First of all, what a gif. Top-notch. I like your blog and think you could do cool things with it (including more cool gifs!). I know you probably want to do your second experiment as your final project, but see what happens with this. I think it could easily be extrapolated to something bigger.

3. The freedom that a blog gives you is so exciting, and even though you have a certain focus, you could really go so many ways with this project. I look forward to seeing how you lay this out with future assignments in this experiment cycle, even if it’s not your final project. The cool thing about blogs is that each choice you make can have such a huge impact: time span, categories, media, writing style, etc.

Also, I second what Max said. If all of your gifs are that good, I will be reading your blog religiously.