the ultimate creative outlet – the zine

When I was first introduced to zines this year, my mind was opened to the limitless possibilities this genre can manifest. From fun doodles, to poems, to a collage of curated texts to convey a message, a zine can contain anything you want it to, and be crafted however you choose. To start getting some inspiration, I recommend heading to Etsy and searching for zines. Here’s a shortcut if you want one – this page is filled with seemingly limitless zines to buy or at least look at previews of.

^ here are a few that stuck out to me. If you want some more examples, here is a great blog post that showcases a variety of different types of zines!

If you would like to create your own zine, first, you’ll need to decide on some content to put inside. However, take this with a grain of salt, because once your creative juices have started flowing and you’re in the middle of crafting your zine, take advantage of the fact that new ideas can arise and they should be embraced! The wonderful thing about zines is that there are no rules, and you can cut and glue and paste and write and draw whatever you want. One of the main purposes of a zine is to form a connection between the creator and the reader, which is most effective when the creator showcases personality through the zine. Additionally, a zine is a light opportunity to bring up difficult topics and personal struggles to others. The artistic component and interactive nature of zines allows the creator to present serious topics in a way that doesn’t seem so scary, and distribute the zine to friends/family/others who would benefit from a personal look into struggles they may share.

Next, curate everything you want to include and gather all of your materials. This can include paper, cardboard, poems, short stories, comics, doodles, markers, pens, crayons, staples, yarn, magazines, scissors, photographs, glitter or get creative and think of something I haven’t! Here is a great video with one way you can construct your zine in a way that makes it easy to be reproduced.

Lastly, get yourself into a creative space, turn on some fun music, and start creating your zine! The process should be just as fun for you as reading it will be for your audience. When you’re finished and it’s time to distribute your zine, you can either send it in the mail to family and friends, drop it in random locations for people to find, put copies up for sale on Etsy, or think of your own method!

Happy creating 🙂

2 thoughts to “the ultimate creative outlet – the zine”

1. I’m glad you mentioned listening to music! This is something I found helpful when making my zine too. I think we are both on the same page in regards to the adaptive nature of the zine. I liked the blogs and posts you linked to, it is helpful to me to see even more examples of zines. Putting copies up for sale on Etsy is a great idea too! I hadn’t thought about online ways to sell zines but this would be a great platform for that. Thanks for sharing these tips!

2. Hey Sydney!

What a great blog post—-very fun and enthusiastic.
    I used the same YouTube video in my Genre Research; it’s really interesting how people approach binding the zine differently. And your audience/what to do with your finished zines are very creative! Since we are all doing the same genre, it’s really helpful to bounce ideas with you!