Zip Zap Zine Zop

Hey! Welcome, welcome. I am just about to start working on my zine. Yes, you heard that right I said Zine. You can go look up zine on Wikipedia, but I’ll save you the time and tell you it’s “a small circulation self-published work of original or appropriated texts and images, usually reproduced via photocopier,” (Wikipedia).

Rather than explain how to make one, I am going to have you make one with me. I’m about to create my first zine and I’m pretty excited about it. Here are the steps I took before delving into my zine journey. It’s important you remember that zines are personal and there is no right or wrong way to do it. I can’t tell you what to do. Only you can. Listen up though for some good tricks on how to make as dope a zine as possible. 

STEP ONE:
Choose a base for your zine.
Here I have a blue book and I decided to use this as the base for my work. I chose it because I am not crafty so this way I don’t have to fold my own booklet. If you choose to though, this video will show you how to make your own. You can use whatever kind of paper you feel fits. Because I am basing my zine off my common application essay, I thought of transforming it into a college exam booklet. I thought this was a clever change. What do you think? Is it lazy or cute? I’m going to make sure it’s cute.

STEP TWO:
Everything deserves a name. Title your zine.
This is what is going to make someone decide to open your magical little book or not, so make sure you pick something both meaningful to yourself and something that will captivate an audience. Imagine some zine-enthusiasts standing in a bookstore looking at 20 different zine covers. What will make someone pick yours? Check out this pinterest board to see some successful (and not so successful) titles and covers.

STEP THREE:
Organize.
While it is undoubtedly fun to just get down and dirty with the scrapbooking, try and figure out a layout for your zine. It should have some sort of theme (even if the theme is no theme). You should have some idea of the kind of things you will be putting on each page. Have an order. Yes, disorganization and messiness is a key component of a zine, but you do want your readers to be able to understand what you’re doing. This simple step will make your life stress free because you won’t be cursing yourself out for gluing the wrong picture on the wrong page.

STEP 4
Have a good freaking time.
A zine is a creative outlet. You shouldn’t feel stressed or strained or frustrated. If you’re choosing to make a zine it means you are choosing to create something fun, freeform, and special. Enjoy the process and remember why you are making it. This should be enough to motivate you through the arts and crafts part of this project. I know the whole time I am making mine, I am going to be imagining handing it to my grandpa when I get home winterbreak. This makes it worth it to me and this motivates me to make it the best (and only) damn zine I have ever made.

So my friends, you now are ready to delve into the personal and individual side of your zine. I can’t tell you how to make your zine because this is something only you know how to do. I can however suggest the above in order to maximize the effectiveness of your zine. My last tip? Check out my wavVVvvy playlist, or put on your own favorite music. Enjoying good music fuels my creative outlets. Maybe it’ll help yours too. Good luck and happy zine-ing!

2 thoughts to “Zip Zap Zine Zop”

1. I love everything you included in this blog post! Firstly, I think it’s so cool and creative that you are using a blue book as the base for your zine. I don’t think it’s lazy at all, especially because you’re doing that so it can be a unique twist away from your origin piece, the common application essay. You can always cut out the cover of the blue book and glue it on to nicer paper if you don’t want the flimsy lined paper to be the bulk of your zine, but that’s totally up to you! Also, great idea to include a playlist, I’ll definitely be listening when I work on my zine, too.

2. Madeline,

Your blog post was so fun from the start! From the title, to the humor in the opening, it lures the audience right in, encouraging them to make their own. I find it interesting that your step one is a base. I think that’s really something to consider, as I am realizing now that that’s probably the best way to go. I wrote in my zine blog post to go to the crafts store–but I struggle with what I want my zine “booklet” to be made out of. LOL I think it’s important to first envision before getting supplies, rather than just get supplies and mash them together haha. Finally, I love the music playlist. It can definitely create ambiance when crafting–which is important too!