I call upon the blog gods (and zach) for inspiration on this one

Hey guys,

As you might know, I’m not fond of blogging. But, here goes nothing.

Image result for gif deep breath

I’ve decided to try and submit my final project to Hopwood. That being said, I realize it might not be possible. Thanks to all your beautiful suggestions, there is a RIDICULOUS amount of editing that somehow needs to occur between now and December 5. My inner optimist seems to think this can happen – at the expense of sleep, of course. My inner optimist is also an asshole, but it’s my last full week of college, so why not give it my all?

I’d like to meet with Ray one last time before I graduate, because he was the reason my novella ended up the way it did. He was so helpful in shaping my characters and plot in more realistic ways, and hopefully he can work his magic on the novella again. What still blows my mind is how Ray had all this amazing feedback without writing anything down; he just remembered it all (!?!). I can barely remember my classes without having a calendar to remind me to go to my classes.  I cannot overemphasize how helpful Ray was. In fact, I’m going to go schedule an appointment with him right now.

Update: I scheduled it.

Here are some of the edits I need to find time for:

1. Developing Ayah further. This will be hard to rush, because genuine character development should come naturally, rather than seem forced due to time constraint.
  2. Providing more detail on Amo and Baba’s past.
  3. Discussing how the holy man saves Baba in more detail.

If I have extra time (HA!), I will also incorporate the following edits:

1. Include more on Mama.
  2. Discuss the Karbala scene and its implications further.
  3. Include some war stories from when Abed was in the army.

That feels good, to write it all out. I’ll have some downtime at the airport later today, so I’ll plan to write for one hour. Then, tomorrow, I’ll dedicate a lot of time to writing. That means that, by tomorrow (hopefully), I’ll have a better sense of what edits I will have time for.

Hmm. That seems like a very productive plan…too productive. Maybe I’m lying to myself.

Image result for lying to myself gif

*fatima out*

One thought to “I call upon the blog gods (and zach) for inspiration on this one”

1. Fatima,

I am so happy that you decided to submit your project to Hopwood! I am confident that they will love it as much as we do. Your plan for edits seem great and I think that even if you don’t get around to all of them.. hey… what do you have to loose?! Either way, I think it will be a good experience and a good step in the right direction to get your writing read by individuals outside of the minor and to boost your confidence in it. As far as the writing goes, I think that you should really prioritize #2 in your first list! I think that adding more context and background on these characters will make your readers even more invested in what happens to them as characters. I think that will make the story even more thought-provoking and make the emotional scenes hit harder! Also, I love the idea of adding some war stories!!! Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Sydni