Interviewing Cristian

I’ve known Cristian since my junior year of high school and over the last couple of years in high school I’ve gotten to know Cristian as a straight forward thinker. When you ask for his advice he doesn’t hold anything back and really just tells you everything that comes to his mind. When interviewing him I saw a lot of that straight forward attitude.

A couple details that stood out to me in his interview was when Cristian said that he doesn’t feel like his language is part of his identity. Cristian’s parents are from Guatemala and he was born in the U.S. so most of his life was  spent in the U.S. and he doesn’t know much about his culture. He also doesn’t know how to speak Spanish very well and struggles to say certain things in Spanish. I think that what surprised me most was what he said about not seeing his language as a part of his identity. This surprised me because many of our conversations in high school were about our family and where we came from. I remember him even inviting me over to his house to eat tamales. I remember seeing his mom cooking the tamales in the biggest pot i’ve ever seen. I’m not sure why i’m try to connect eating tamales to language but I guess what i’m trying to say is that i’ve had many experiences with him that involved things from his culture and so because of this it was surprising to me.

One thought to “Interviewing Cristian”

1. It’s so cool how you get to interview someone you know from back home. You have a little more context on Cristian to understand where he’s coming from in his interview.

And I think I understand what you mean with the tamales. Cristian’s learned his language at home, the same place where he learned about his culture and why its important. It’s interesting that he says his language is not very tied to who he is today. But I guess I never think of speaking English as being a part of my identity, so I understand how he might consider speaking Spanish as an part of him, but one he rarely notices.