Interviewing Natalia

Natalia is a professor from the Sweetland writing department. She’s originally from Russia and has lived in Russia for the first 30 years of her life and has lived in the U.S. for 18 years. T recommended for me to have this interview with her. I have to say I was really nervous coming in to her office to have this interview for my project because it was the first time I interviewed someone that wasn’t my peer.

I’m not sure if I want to include this interview in my project mainly because when I asked her about her assimilation process in the country she focused it more on her efforts in trying to pass on her native tongue to her children. She talked about how she consciously made the decision to raise her children as bilingual and went in on the details of how her daughter knows the language but not on the same level as she does. She mentioned how her son, who didn’t spend that much time in Russia, doesn’t have that much grasp on the language either. In a way I can understand how this is how she sees her assimilation process from the view of a mother, but I really wanted it to be more on her personally.

However, I still found this interview to be helpful towards my future in research. When interviewing Natalia we talked about many things within the bilingual research field. Things like different researchers that study the field and interesting studies that came out of it.