Challenge Journal 1 | Tick Tock

Not the song by Kesha, but I wish.

Something that I’ve noticed I really, really, really struggle with is the time in which I feel inspired to write. I’m sure this stems from my (severely lacking in quality and not at all helpful) ritual of saving all of my writing assignments to do last, because for some reason, I find most of my inspiration to write while everyone else has been asleep for hours — and as Tharp said in our reading, rituals require us to stop asking why we’re doing something, and I stopped asking why I was still up approximately four hours ago.

But, as you can see by the time stamp on this blog post, it’s almost 4 a.m. and this has really turned into an unhealthy habit (ritual?). As great as it is to have the words flowing, having them flow through a sleep-deprived haze probably doesn’t actually help, because I’m sure you’ve encountered at least 10-12 grammatical errors in this post already.

My writing ritual used to revolve on a (healthy) time schedule because it was based around the hours of my favorite writing place — the corner booth in the Union Starbucks. It was the perfect relationship; for some reason, that corner booth and a chai tea latte were all I needed to crank out papers and blog posts, and because it closed at 9 p.m., I didn’t have to find my inspiration in a Vitamin Water bottle at an unholy hour in the morning. But, as we are all aware, my corner booth for writing is now covered in sawdust and construction sheets due to renovations (RIP) and my writing has since been stalled to my apartment’s kitchen table at 4 a.m.

This has been a really long and convoluted way of asking: has anyone else had this problem where they’ve lost a motivating factor for their writing, and how have you replaced that piece of motivation? (Or, maybe an easier question to answer — do you have any good suggestions for a new study spot?)