Hi! I’m Catherine, and I’m a sophomore and a brand new Minor in Writing! I am enrolled in the Gateway course with T, and this is my first blog post. In lieu of a introductory paragraph, here are some fun facts about me:
- I am from Columbus, OH, but I’ve been a Michigan fan all my life
- My favorite book is Flowers for Algernon
- I am a Business Administration major, which involves a fun sprint twice a week from the Gateway (in USB) to Accounting (in Ross)
- I make a mean coconut cupcake
- My first piece of writing was a novel called “The Girl” (I was about six and promptly gave up after three pages (so not much has changed))
My origin material for my experiments is a research essay that I wrote for a Sociolinguistics class last semester. It was called “Mainstream English in the Age of Technology” and evaluated–get this–how mainstream English has changed with technology. I chose this essay because I had a blast doing research and writing it, and it has plenty of applications for experiments.
I’m really looking forward to one experiment I have planned; I’d like to build an interactive map of the U.S. online to show how mainstream English differs in each part of the country. I hope I will be able to get everything I’d like to done in the period of time that we have, and I am a little worried about how my final products will turn out, but at the end of the day it’s about the journey, not the destination!