I draft tweets sometimes (and I guess this makes me a writer)

Hi! I’m Catherine, and I’m a sophomore and a brand new Minor in Writing! I am enrolled in the Gateway course with T, and this is my first blog post. In lieu of a introductory paragraph, here are some fun facts about me:

• I am from Columbus, OH, but I’ve been a Michigan fan all my life
  • My favorite book is Flowers for Algernon
  • I am a Business Administration major, which involves a fun sprint twice a week from the Gateway (in USB) to Accounting (in Ross)
  • I make a mean coconut cupcake
  • My first piece of writing was a novel called “The Girl” (I was about six and promptly gave up after three pages (so not much has changed))

My origin material for my experiments is a research essay that I wrote for a Sociolinguistics class last semester. It was called “Mainstream English in the Age of Technology” and evaluated–get this–how mainstream English has changed with technology. I chose this essay because I had a blast doing research and writing it, and it has plenty of applications for experiments.

I’m really looking forward to one experiment I have planned; I’d like to build an interactive map of the U.S. online to show how mainstream English differs in each part of the country. I hope I will be able to get everything I’d like to done in the period of time that we have, and I am a little worried about how my final products will turn out, but at the end of the day it’s about the journey, not the destination!

One thought to “I draft tweets sometimes (and I guess this makes me a writer)”

1. I’m really interested in your map experiment! It is not a genre that I even considered but it sounds really cool and worthwhile. I’m taking another writing class and we are talking about the way different people speak English and other languages, and how this can affect one’s writing. I’m interested to see what you find on the different ways people speak and maybe I can even apply it to my own class!