My list of fun facts and a book with stickers

I’m a 5’6″ communications major, I own too many pairs of earrings, and my favorite breakfast is a chocolate chip bagel. One of my favorite activities is thrifting with my friends, and I love to cook. I have a collection of bags (plastic, paper, canvas, you name it) and a passion for the performing arts. Oh, and my name is Lucy. I guess that bit is important, too. Most of those facts aren’t especially relevant to whoever you are reading this, but I figure they’re a little more interesting than your average introduction spiel. I’m currently in my first semester of the writing minor and am so happy I took the leap and applied last semester. I’ve been able to expand my writing and explore my own voice in a way I haven’t before. I’m excited to continue growing in this course, and to take on my first experiment.

My origin piece is a sticker-plastered notebook that I’ve owned since seventh grade. The cover is warped, the binding is ripped, and there are at least six pages missing. Here’s a peek:

Inside it holds most of the songs I wrote between 8th and 12th grade, totaling over 35. Some are fragments of chords with lyric ideas jotted down in the margins, others are fully completed pieces. Interacting with it now is a complex, self-reflective process. Each song represents a different stage of my life, a snapshot of how I viewed the world in that moment. Those five years were transformative. The notebook shows my apprehensions and my growth. I’m excited to revisit these experiences through fresh eyes and use my experiments to bring these songs into my life as it is today. We’ll see where they take me. Wish me luck!

4 thoughts to “My list of fun facts and a book with stickers”

1. Hey Lucy!

The background story behind your writer’s notebook is really interesting–there’s so many years and so much history behind it! It’ll be cool to look back on it years from now and sort-of follow your thoughts throughout your life. For your project, I think revisiting songs from years ago will provide a lot of introspection and self-reflection, making it a very personal project. You will be able to bring some of those songs to life! It sounds great!

2. I really like that you included a picture of your notebook. It is really personal and let’s us in a bit more (in a rather brief blog post). I also like that you create banter with the audience — “Wish me luck!”

3. I was immediately drawn to this post because I had a ~very~ similar notebook that kept me sane(ish) through most of middle school. Instead of songs, I jotted down angst-filled poetry stolen from Tumblr. I also was mixing aesthetics through the means of Silly Bandz and side bangs sticking out of a beanie. What a time to be alive.

This post instantly gave me a better sense of who you are and what you’re passionate about, and I loved how you started with fun facts instead of your name. Best of luck on your project!

4. Hey Lucy! I like your non-traditional introduction and the picture of your origin piece. I can totally relate to your feelings on looking back to your songwriting- I definitely believe it can be a really fun and lighthearted and/or a painfully embarrassing experience. I guess it depends on what you were going through at the time of writing the songs. I’m really interested in hearing what you will end up doing in your experiments!