Challenge Journal #3: PROCRASTINATION in my last weeks of undergraduate study

As college students, we are all well aware of the dreadful, ever-in-limbo balance of productivity and procrastination. Especially during my senior year, especially after I got a job lined up, I have been hit with a wave of apathy regarding university. I’m tired, I’m burned out from all of this, I will be working at the Library of Congress in a few weeks (flex), and you want me to a four pm class on a Wednesday. The really issue comes down to homework. Finishing those essays and turning in that busy work. When I get home for the night, I have a terrible habit of giving myself a huge to-do list in order to get things done without thinking about the fact that I would like to sleep and eat and hang out with friends.

I have three final essays due in the middle of April, the capstone project being one of them.  The second is a literary review and the last is a research paper. This weekend, I gave myself the task of just outlining those essays, and I have not.

Instead, I researched how I can get over this procrastination hump – just for the next few weeks.

Most people agree that we procrastinate because we’re “immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead.” So, the way to beat it is by giving yourself smaller tasks that add up until you’ve completed the project.  Try to deceive yourself into doing something. Maybe even ask yourself “What’s the next action I’d take on this if I were going to do it, even though I’m not?”

What do you do to beat procrastination?

Meghan Brody

Meghan Brody. B.A. History & Writing. LSA Senior. Aspiring librarian.