Challenge Journal #2 – Senioritis and being nostalgic

This is only my 2nd blog post and it is almost April. It isn’t because I don’t enjoy blogging or writing, but I think that in this class as well as my others, outside of being close to graduation which definitely has an impact on the schoolwork I do, it is also hard to come to terms with the fact that my life is going to change so drastically in less than two months. I have found it hard to get myself to get ahead in my project and finding motivation to write because I feel like if I take longer to do things, I am buying time in a way.

To help you understand, I spend my time procrastinating and listening to old music, thinking about the past and missing childhood and the time that I was nervous to start college. A few years ago before I started my journey at Michigan, I just wanted to just get the process of things that scared me over with, thinking that if I resolved the things I was anxious about quickly that I would feel better. I think that makes sense to most people, however I wish I had not tried to rush through my work and my writing and in life in general during these last few years.

That being said, I know I need to work a bit quicker on my project and writing the content for it now that the end of class is around the corner. It is just scary for me to complete one of my last assignments at this university and not know what is next. I am going to try to focus more on sticking to the writing rituals I said I would follow at the beginning of the semester to get myself back on track. I hope everything works out in the end!

3 thoughts to “Challenge Journal #2 – Senioritis and being nostalgic”

1. Jana!
    The senioritis is REAL. I am definitely feeling similar to you. So many changes are about to happen in my life and I am feeling nostalgic yet excited. I definitely suggest doing your best to follow your writing ritual. But what really helps me write is doing writing sprints. Writing sprints are interesting. First, you start with a goal. This can be a word count, a blog post, or anything you want it to be. Then you set a timer for 15-minutes to an hour (depending on what your goal is). The aim is to reach (and sometimes exceed) your goal in the time you have set. My added suggestion is to turn off your phone and turn off wifi. Just type on word, notes, pages, or whatever you use as a document creator that runs offline! Hope that helps!
    -Adele

2. Hi Jana,

I know exactly how you feel! I’ve been facing the same issue with knowing that I need to work on my projects (and getting crazy anxiety about how behind I am) but lacking the motivation to actually start!

For me, it’s kindof about not knowing where to start. Because I’m terrible at beginnings. So I always just start somewhere in the middle and right in chunks and somehow fit everything together in the end. But this project is important to me, because it’s my last and my *capstone* so the pressure for everything to be perfect is clouding my ability to just sit down and write. It’s rough.

I really like Adele’s idea though, to just sit down with a single goal in mind, and giving yourself a definitive amount of time to do it. I’m a deadline-oriented person, so having strict deadlines really helps to motivate me. Another thing I try to do is just work on whatever part I want. And a lot of times, I take half of the content I just wrote and put it in other sections. All of the information is in your head, you’ve just gotta let it loose!

Anyways, I’m glad you’re getting to work on your blog posts; I need to get going on mine too!

But just trust in yourself as a writer and know that you’ll figure anything out that comes your way!

Happy writing 🙂
    -Alexis

3. Hey Jana!

I found this blog post extremely relatable. I am experiencing some of these same issues in regard to not feeling the motivation to get way ahead in the capstone project process, and now that it’s April, I’m starting to run out of time to fix that haha. I also feel a real connection to the uncertainty of next year and beyond. My project is actually centered around this uncertainty, in a way (it’s about free will and predeterminism and how we can use either of these beliefs to kind of shrug off the decisions or changes that are upcoming in our lives). However, I think that I can also benefit from getting back to the rituals I used as a younger student without so much uncertainty ahead of me in order to up my motivation to finish the project.

Jacob