Eureka! I’ve created it!

In modern times, pursuing writing and pursuing science are looked at as two ends of a very long spectrum, but I would argue that writers and scientists – at their most basic level – are pursuing the same things.

Now, you might be furrowing your brow, but what is writing if not discovery? What is science if not communication of meaning? Do not both fields act as a lens through which we come to understand the world?

And the realization of this connection was why I found the title of “experiments” so fascinating. Almost literally, we would be combining various elements (thoughts, mediums, individual words and letters) to create brand new products – something we might not have been able to fully envision when we first set out to invent.

For my part, I’ve been enjoying the journey. It’s been exciting to try new things and see what results, but I wish I had more time. Researching has been taxing, and, though I am pleased with how my experiments are turning out, many nights the hurried deadlines feel like they’re sucking away my creative spirit.

My first experiment was a perfect example of this. At the suggestion of my professor, my first experiment was to make a sound essay – something I had never heard of before. Apparently, neither had most other people in the world. (FYI, a sound essay is like an audio essay, but it tells the story entirely through sounds instead of words.) Very little research existed on this genre, and this made figuring out where to start the first major hurdle. Once I had an idea of what to do, though, the actual creating part was a blast! I found myself working extremely late into the night and not realizing this fact until the experiment was done and I looked at the clock. (Time truly flies when you’re crafting a story!)

A screenshot of my monitor while creating Morning Blues (my sound essay) in iMovie

My second experiment was making a book trailer. The research for this genre was much easier and far more exciting. I came into the experiment with a lot more excitement about the genre than with the first experiment, and that made this labor of love a little less laborious than I was expecting. In the end, I wasn’t thrilled with the constraints of the creative platform I chose to use, but I was very happy with how the final product turned out.

A screenshot of one of the first frames of my animated book trailer, made using Powtoon

For my third experiment, I’m planning on making a website. My origin material is a novel for middle-school-aged-readers that I’ve been writing, so I’m hoping to make the website into the book’s actual website. On the website will be both of my first two experiments, as well as fun extras like interviews with the author, pictures of the cover, character bios, etc. While I haven’t started yet, I’m hoping it will be great!

My experience of the experiments so far has been a bit of a rollercoaster, but I’ve been thankful for the push to play with writing in a way I don’t typically have reason to do. Like with science, I think writing is something that should be probed and tested, so I’m glad that these experiments have invited me to try things that are outside of my current wheelhouse, and I look forward to the challenge of continuing to explore.

Leave a Reply