Fully Realized Experiment Rationale

For my fully realized experiiment, I am going to be pursuing my third experiment, which focused on interviewing journalists about journalism in the ‘fake news’ era as well as female journalists about their careers. My rhetorical situation is pretty straightforward. As a university student writing interviewing journalists, my background will impact the way audience members perceive the credibility of my work. I am writing to member’s in my own community as well as anyone interested in journalism in modern society, especially when its credibility as a craft is so under attack right now. I want to emphasize the importance of journalism’s place in a democracy. Likewise, what’s happening in the world will affect everything to do with my piece because current events are what inspired me to pursue this project.     

This experiment has been the one in the back of my mind since the start of this class. Basically, I’ve been itching to work on something like this since I wrote my origin piece last semester, and so my belief in this has been the strongest by virtue of being the idea I’ve always been the most excited about. Likewise, I believe in this experiment over my first experiment (satirical BuzzFeed post about podcasts) because I think it’s more engaging in terms of the focus and more relevant to real issues. Additionally, I believe in this experiment over my second experiment (making my own podcast) because I would not have to pick up on as many technical skills, and therefore my final product will be more put-together.

While I am not a student journalist, journalism has always been something I have cared immensely about. Likewise, I recognize that journalists’ goal is to tell the story, not be the story. However, I also think that achieving credible insight into the world of journalism from the source — the reporter’s I’d interview — would emphasize the importance of quality reporting, especially in today’s world.

The genre I’ve chosen to use the deliver my message, feature/profile writing, is a strong one because it’s the subject of my project. Initially, I had been hoping to write several traditional features stories, but realize that with the time allotted for this project in addition to other work that wouldn’t be doable. So, I switched my sights to a general ask and answer format. However, I think this could possibly be even more impactful because the information is streamlined for readers, and it allows more room for the interviewees’ voice, which is what I want to prioritize.

Potential challenges reaching my audience is a lack of interest and political affiliation. There’s a perception that the media at large is liberal and therefore is biased against conservatives or Republican’s. This plays into issues with reaching my audience because I am focusing on the problems associated with reporting in the era of “fake news;” something often associated with the right side of the political spectrum. So really, the issue of political bias common to most things today will probably be my main issue.

I’m hoping with the style of this it would fit in with an online publication like VICE or Buzzfeed (when they try to be more serious). The tone I am aiming for these pieces are straightforward and hopefully adaptable to any online publication.

4 thoughts to “Fully Realized Experiment Rationale”

1. This sounds like a powerful final project. As a student interested in journalism myself, I find the subject matter very relevant and interesting to explore in our current political climate. I also think the intended vehicles you have for this project, in VICE or Buzzfeed, fit really well with the blunt, investigative tone you are hoping to convey. Good luck with all of this!

2. Brendan Nyhan of the Ford school is also a good resource! He just collaborated in making a ‘fake news’ data set and model of sorts in his research and has a lot to say about the political trend. I do like that you’re looking at the perspective of actual journalists though, as I feel like one doesn’t often receive the perspective of those involved or around the scandal and how their lives/work are directly affected by it.

3. I really love how you want to emphasize “the importance of journalism’s place in a democracy,” because I think this is so so true. Democracy needs good reporting and an avenue to inform the public on very serious issues. I would argue that the role of a journalist is becoming increasingly important in this day in age where media/online publications/TV journalism is booming. Love your project!