The Experiment Bracket Selection: Writing 220 Edition

The Rhetorical Situation
As a current student and arduous Michigan Athletics fan, I am going to embark on a fully-realized version of my Experiment #2: a sports journalism piece. Specifically, sports reporting to recap the March Madness game against Texas Tech this Thursday.
Disclaimer: if we win, I will likely report on our performance in the Elite Eight versus the highly anticipated Gonzaga Bulldogs. This is to accommodate a more relaxed timeline.
I am writing to an audience with a vested interest in the Michigan game that seeks to read further in depth about what they missed, or simply a different lens on the game that they watched. The end goal is to present a sharp recap of the game, while subtly weaving in opinionated statements to stand out from other reporting articles. If this were to make it in the Michigan Daily, then my base audience will likely consist of Michigan students and grads.
I want to write this for the challenge and the relevance. Although I find sports writing exciting, I also know the level of jargon and in-depth understanding that it demands. While I have been able to keep up in the context of Michigan Athletics on Twitter, article writing is a whole other playing field (pun intended). I am also excited by the relevance of the piece; March Madness is the one time of year when stakes are the highest and audience is the biggest. If I were to ever embark on a sports writing piece, now is arguably the best time of year.

Why I Believe in This Experiment
I
I believe
I believe that
I believe that this experiment is best suited for my interests over the others for several reasons. Firstly, I enjoyed writing the genre analysis more than any others, and will thus find maximized motivation to perfect my fully-realized experiment. But more importantly, I think it is feasible. I have had practice writing articles all semester long for my columnist position in the Daily, and have read sports journalism articles all season long. It will be challenging and will demand several rounds of editing, but when completed, it will feel nothing short of rewarding. This is in part because it can stand alone; by this I mean while a food blog post demands multiple in order to establish a food blog, an article can stand by itself.

The Venue
As aforementioned, I would attempt to publish my piece in the Michigan Daily. It is open to student contributors, has an established sports reporting sector, and has a relatively smooth and quick publishing process!

Until then, Happy March and may the best bracket win. #goblue

3 thoughts to “The Experiment Bracket Selection: Writing 220 Edition”

1. Hey Romy! I am really interested in the sports journalism piece that you are planning for your final experiment. Plus, your blog post got my attention with your “I believe” chant (I’ll admit, I repeated it back to you in my head, but had some trouble repeating the paragraph!). I also admire your decision to try and publish the piece in the Michigan Daily. I think it raises the stakes and ensures that you’re really putting your best work forward. Best of luck, and go blue!

2. Romy,
    I love this idea of yours, and not just because I am a sports fanatic and wanna-be sports journalist myself. It’s witty, quick, and cohesive from start to finish. The ways in which you incorporate your theme throughout the entirety of the post- from turning the “I Believe” cheer into a reasoning behind your motivation to describing your audience as the venue- is effectively complete. I hope to read your take on the game in the Daily very soon. Good luck!

3. Romy,

I am a big advocate of writing about things we enjoy as well as things we are good at. Despite our loss to Texas Tech, it seems that sports journalism is a great medium for you to express your opinions while creating a “product” of sorts that engages a targeted audience. I’m curious if you will incorporate a signature slogan or line such as Stuart Scott’s “Booyah” or “Cooler than the flip side of the pillow.”