A twinge of project regret – Challenge Journal #3

So it’s April. And that means a few things. First, my last semester as an undergraduate is almost over. Second, I have to start packing my stuff to bring back home (ugh). And third, I am having serious creativity regrets about my capstone project.

I mean, my capstone project is cool, don’t get me wrong. I’ve recently hit a productive patch where I’m working on it at every free opportunity I get because I’m so excited about how far I’ve come from the beginning of the semester. But, also, it could have been like a short video, or a podcast, or a video documentary where I would get to use those more classic creative skills of sound and editing and camera angles and stuff! I guess I’m just wishing I had pushed my medium just a little bit harder and had picked a different, more interactive media than a written article.

And that’s fair, right? I mean, the grass is always greener on the other side. While I’m asking my friends to read over my work for spelling errors, others are worried about editing sound bites and getting the *perfect* contrast on their vlog. I really should count my blessings. But as I hear and get glimpses of other peoples’ projects, I can’t help but wonder if I could have done something just a little cooler!

And yes, I know each project is cool and unique in its own way, and I’ve put in a ton of work and that makes my project uniquely cool to me. But the things that everyone else is doing are just awesome and so creative!

So, as this comes to a close, I’ll just summarize by saying that I’m so impressed with everyone’s work and creativity. And I can’t believe just how different everyone’s projects are turning out to be!

4 thoughts to “A twinge of project regret – Challenge Journal #3”

1. Hey Alexis! From your journal, I’d say you’re not alone at all in feeling slight regret over your capstone project. Personally, I am having some minor regrets about integrating a short-story into the choose-your-own adventure format since I have experienced some issues and also seen other project mediums I like. With long-term projects like capstone, I think some of those feelings of regret and envy are inherent and unavoidable. Nevertheless, they show you are committed to your project and to making it the best it can be.

You’re approaching your project with the overall right mindset. As you discussed in your journal, you’ve already accomplished so much toward your project, and the finished product will be great since it’s a reflection of your career as a writer. Moving forward, I’d recommend brainstorming possible ways to incorporate more diverse creative elements into your piece so that you can have a “more interactive media,” which you mentioned is your goal. Have you considered introducing any personal images or videos into your article? Have you thought about adding links throughout the article to relevant outside sources that informed your project? Just some ideas to think about as you keep working. Good luck!

2. Hi Alexis!

I can definitely relate to second guessing topics and ideas for the project! I think that often when the deadline gets closer, the stress adds to the anxiety we have about the projects and many other ideas about what “could have” been pop up. Also I think that just because you already have a focus for your project does not mean that you can’t tweak it to be more interesting or “cool”. It may be last minute, but I think that as we work on our projects more and more, it is important to acknowledge changes we want to make. At the end of the day, the project is totally yours to create, and I am sure there are a few simple things you could incorporate to add to the experience of your project.

Going off of that, I can admit that I am also struggling with my project idea and wishing I did something else. That being said, I am adding last minute pieces of content to my project. For example, I decided to add poems to my site as well as a story about my life experiences over the last few years to interest more people. Although i am adding to my work load and have to work faster to get my project done, I think in the end i’ll be happy that I decided to put in the effort.

3. Hey Alexis,

I totally understand what you mean – I also have a few regrets on the way that I had initially set up my project. It can be hard to foresee the twists and turns that our projects will take; as projects develop, it is very easy to feel that it is drifting away from its original plans. In fact, I think it is normal for these types of thoughts to never go away! I truly believe that there is always room for improvement. I mean how do you know when a project is truly — completely — done?

My advice to you is to run with your original project outline. Unfortunately, there is less than a month left in our college careers, making it extremely difficult to be able to crank out a new video for your website. However, I don’t think that you should completely rule out your new ideas.

I think one of my biggest takeaways from the Capstone course thus far is that a project never stops! Remember when we talked about Michelle Kuo’s memoir? That project took years and took drastic changes over its duration. You can continue modifying and adding to your project even after this course ends! It seems like you’re genuinely passionate about your work and perhaps these additional modifications are what you need to feel that the project was completed to the best of your ability. I’m excited to see how it grows!

4. Hey Alexis!
    Gateway here. Let me just say that reading this was comforting, in a way, because even just in crafting the experiments for gateway, I too have run into project regret. It’s definitely kind of scary to know that these projects are totally up to you, but in the same way, that means you have full creative freedom. You can add whatever elements you want, call it whatever you want, and shape it to be whatever you want.