Advice for Future Gateway

There’s a lot of things that I could say that I wish I knew before taking the Gateway course for the MiW, however, I thoroughly enjoyed learning them on my own. I don’t think I would have developed this much as a writer if I had some sort of cheat sheet or a guide to “get through” this course.

The only advice I would give to a future Gateway student would be to not be too ambitious with the experiments. I had a couple big ideas in my head of what my experiments were going to turn out to be, and I realized halfway through Experiment 2 that I would not be able to accomplish them. I originally planned to make my third experiment the “biggest one” that would lead into my final project. As the experiments went on and we had less and less time for each one, I ended up making tough decisions on what I was going it do.

I think I made a labyrinth out of a one-room house.

Don’t get me wrong, I am happy with how it turned out. I just think that I made a few things a little too complicated. In summary, my advice is to make your “most ambitious” experiment the first one and see where it takes you for the next two, and to not make things too complicated. Other than that, the Gateway is your jungle to explore.