Advice to Future Gateway Students

Its really hard to give writing advice, because everyone writes differently and for different reasons. I was pretty nervous joining the Minor in Writing family because I didn’t feel like a “writer.” But what I learned through this gateway class is that I am just as much a writer as anyone else. I don’t have my things published and I don’t have to journal frequently or write about everything that comes to mind to be a writer. You can define what it means to be a writer, and that means a lot of different things to different people. But don’t be afraid to take risks. Don’t be afraid to write on subjects/genres you feel weird or uncomfortable writing about. Push yourself not for the grade (well, do that too), but push yourself to write for you and only you. Imagine you are 60 years old and looking back on your writing. How cool would it be to have a collection of funny, silly, smart, academic, and touching prose to read at the end of your life? What will you discover about yourself both now and then? Write like your grade depends on it, yes. But also write because your words truly do matter.