Burned Out

What happens when you can’t write anymore? I feel so burned out by everything that I have to do—final exams, final papers, final projects, graduation. Every time I sit down to write at a computer I feel myself fill up with so much dread. I have all these ideas and then I open my laptop or journal and they all leave my brain. I stare blankly into the void that is a blank Microsoft word document until I inevitably fall asleep, open Netflix, or shut my computer in frustration. Even writing this challenge blog is, well, a challenge. It takes me five minutes to write a sentence. Just now, it took me thirty seconds to remember the word for minute. What’s happening to my brain?

My parents tend to tell me that I look too much at the big picture, that I need to focus on what’s right in front of me and what I can do now. But how can I write when I suddenly remember I have to book my plane ticket to New York City for my senior showcase or that I have to choreograph a new dance for said showcase or that my other paper is due tomorrow or that, oh my gosh, I’m graduating in two weeks? The excitement of it all is somehow also burning me out—I am overwhelmed with the amount of work left to do? How do we sit down and write through it?

2 thoughts to “Burned Out”

1. Hi Micky – girl, I feel you. On top of everything that has to get done before Thursday for my Capstone project, I feel the unbelievable pressure from graduation and life after college. I’m, well for a lack of a better word, tweaking. I remember that this happened to me last semester too, specifically when our final paper was due for our feminist rhetoric class. I procrastinated so much that I didn’t write it until the night before … not good. That being said, I think of all this pressure is a good thing in a way. Yes, it’s making much of our work much harder, but, sometimes (as in the case of last semester’s essay), I find the pressure to be what i needed to push through. I always remind myself that it’ll get done, and, knowing you, I know that you’ll do well. When I sit down to write and my fingers navigate to a new tab where Netflix or Youtube are inevitably waiting for me, I take a second, and go for a quick walk instead. It clears my mind, and I’m ready to go. Do you have any quick fixes that might work for you (a quick spotify session sometimes does the trick too!) Keep your head up, girl- we got this!

2. Hi Micky,

I can definitely relate to your struggle! I find that the only way I can make space to get work done is really plan it out. It might help to dedicate a day to working on just one thing at a time. Try to dedicate 2-3 hours in a day to just do one assignment and pretend that you have nothing else to do. I think that with all that is going on in our lives that it is hard to get things done because there are so many distractions, but when you just take it day by day and knock one thing out after the other, it’s less stressful. Kind of like when you can’t finish a whole meal and save the rest for later. If you can’t think about what to write, maybe make a list of ideas you have rather than try to write whole sentences and then work on something else. When you come back to your list, you might be less overwhelmed about coming up with ideas because you’ve already written them down. I hope this advice helps you focus on writing!