Challenge Journal: Reflection

Pursuing a corporate career, I often ask myself: “Why Writing?” The business world is moving away from writing as a valuable skill. Even in professions that do value writing, appreciation comes few and far between. Why in the world did I dedicate countless hours to a Minor in Writing? To the Michigan Daily?

As my journey isn’t finished, I can’t say I have an answer for it. But I am getting closer, and excuse the cliches when I share my possible answers.

I furthered my understanding of what constitutes a community. through writing I felt something strangely tribal at the MiW showcase as I listened to fellow classmates share their projects after students from others. I felt proud of what we accomplished even when there was no overlap between what any of us did.

Similarly, the minor showed me that writing can build relationships. I think people better understood who I was after my workshop in the class. I certainly felt the passion that others had when I saw pieces of their work. Finding a voice and looking to be unique is what drove me on the Daily and in the class, and I am grateful the opportunity to further figure out what that means for my writing.

Finally, my time spent writing showed me my potential when I work on something that I am passionate about. When will I get the freedom on an assignment like I did with the gateway and capstone? When I am working, will I have to put passion projects to the wayside? I’ve certainly gained an appreciation for the variety of projects I saw and the fun I had making mine.

So why writing? There isn’t one good way I can put it. I may always wonder if the good I gained from it really would make a difference later on. But maybe it doesn’t have to. I can appreciate that there was something good to be had at all.

One thought to “Challenge Journal: Reflection”

1. Hey Ethan!

While I am not doing any corporate work in the foreseeable future, I do often think about what role writing will play in my new post-grad life. In an ideal world, we would all be disciplined enough to take our one day-off as passion project time. But knowing myself, I will use that one day to re-watch season 6 of “Game of Thrones” or something silly (but equally fulfilling, perhaps).

I think it is important to remember that you are a writer, and always will be! Whenever the urge hits you, or whenever time permits AND the urge hits you, you will be able to dive right in to a new passion project.

Best of luck in your future endeavors!

–Allie Re