When Writing About Other People

While the title may sound like I am gossiping, I can assure you I am not. At least in this blog, I am probably texting someone in iMessage at the same time though. These people that I am texting are some of my best friends. My topic for my capstone project is friendship. I am specifically dedicating a page to each of these friends.

I want these pages to be humorous and sentimental. I have already added pictures and quotes. I even added a short note about all the things I appreciate about them. However, in my capstone workshop, my peers asked for more: more stories, more pictures, more about these people and our relationships.

I understand. They do not know my friends as well as I do. Yet, in this constructive recommendation from the audience, I started to contemplate my project. I am writing about the people closest to me, to them. So how am I supposed to tailor that to a wider audience?

Image result for audience gif

As I reflect on certain moments in each of my friendships, I have to sift through them and think of what would appeal to a broader audience. I want those reading my capstone to connect with my friends as I have. I want them to compare their own friends to mine and find some humor in the similarities.

To do so, I need to balance writing about other people with writing to other people. I can tailor my content to include moments others might connect with. I can include stories about how I met my friends and screenshot of our text messages. I can add more pictures. I can add more quotes.

Once I do so, this project could inspire many to think about why their friends are so important to them as I reflect on why mine are important to me.

One thought to “When Writing About Other People”

1. Julia – As someone who also has a large portion of my project talking about other people, I definitely relate to this! I struggled a lot with balancing an accurate portrayal of people in my life and needing content that fit with my topic, and hope that I struck that balance well in the end. I love your ending note of wanting to inspire others to think about their own friendships, as that is very similar to my own goal with my project of hoping that others will use it as a mirror to see their own perspective on relationships and how they could improve. I think that is the biggest connection to a larger audience – readers don’t need to know every detail of your friends, but rather the ones that will best allow them to connect it to their own lives. In that way, there is a balance between writing people as they truly are and connecting it to your topic and content. After reading this, I feel as though you had a great perspective on writing about other people, so congrats on that!