When you just aren’t in the mood

I woke up this morning with no desire to write or think about my project. I didn’t even want to touch my laptop. It was beautiful outside, and I felt like I had been staring at wix for so long over the weekend the words had all blurred together. So, I didn’t write for a while. I spent the day with my friends, sitting in the Diag, eating lunch outside, and simply hanging out.

And thankfully, that reminded me of why I chose the topic I did in the first place. For a while, I thought the best way for me to get things done was to drive off campus to a coffee shop and sit there for hours, so I wouldn’t be distracted. While this helped for some aspects of my work, it made it hard for me to write about relationships in my life when I didn’t feel like I had anything to say at the moment. So, I decided to take today as a reset to remember why I usually do have so much to say about them, and just enjoy our time together.

I realized that being in the right headspace to write is really important both for me and for the topic I chose, and it isn’t something I can force by isolating myself and trying to push through. As we enter this final stretch (aka stressful crunch time where everything hurts all the time), I hope to continue to find balance and remember that sometimes, you just aren’t in the mood to write, and as a writer, that is okay. Instead of fighting against it, I worked with it today, and now I finally have at least some of the words I was missing earlier.