Hi There!

I’ve been sitting in a coffee shop for a solid 45 minutes with my fingers tapping across the keys of my laptop trying to figure out how to start this post. I thought I was being a quiet patron of this public space, but it turns out that my pensive tapping is a lot louder than I thought, but I couldn’t tell because the silky-smooth voices of the Hadestown soundtrack were taking up all of my attention. Whoops, my sincerest apologies to everyone that had to endure that. My bad. The reason that I was struggling so hard and tapping so aggressively was that I had to approach this introduction without a strict set of guidelines to follow.

In all aspects of life, I LOVE RULES. And when I say love I mean cherish and respect with the upmost intensity as they keep me in line and help me make sense of the world. I tend to need a guide to get things up and going, and without one I just feel a little lost. Without something advising me along a journey (especially a writing journey), I feel overwhelmed by the possibilities of what could be and burdened by the idea that most of them are probably not all that interesting. It was in this specific journey to find a way to introduce myself that every fact about me danced through my mind, but none of them seemed quite alluring and attention grabbing enough to start off my MiW introduction with. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that my favorite way to get to know someone is to get to know the little mundane facts that make up the nuances of who they are as a person, so why do I think those things don’t matter about myself? So, here is my attempt to describe myself using some of my most unremarkable facts:

I spend far too much time gazing at the sky (which is dangerous for someone who trips over absolutely everything and should really be looking where I am going at all times). I am way too emotionally invested in the Food Network’s Kid’s Baking Championship(if you want to see me hit some high highs and low lows emotionally, we should watch an episode together sometime). I have an uncontrollable urge to yell “I love you” at every dog I pass (much to the confusion and amusement of their owners who I tend to think can’t hear me, but usually do). The first piece of writing to ever give me chills was a poem I heard when I was 16 and I didn’t know the words of a stranger could have that kind of power before that moment. So, as I embark on this writing journey over my final two years here at Michigan I hope to embrace the importance of the mundane, both about myself and the world around me,  and learn to harness the potential power of the words I will be crafting. I am also realizing while reading this back that I managed to let you know I constantly express my affection for dogs on the street before even stating my name. Hello, my name is Kate Walsh, and I am really excited to be a part of this.

4 thoughts to “Hi There!”

1. As a dog lover as well, I can really relate to your tendency to yell “I love you” to every dog that you pass on the street. I constantly find myself doing the same. I also love watching the Food Network. My favorite show is Worst Cooks in America but I have watched Kid’s Baking Championship before and I am definitely a fan!

2. Hey Kate, I really relate to how you opened your introduction, usually my music is playing so loud while I think that I forget that I might be making noise that the outside world can hear… Also, have you ever seen the Great British Bake Off? It’s yet another baking show that is easy to get WAY too invested in.

3. This made me laugh. I relate a lot to your dog affection; I also regularly forget that dog owners can hear me while I shower their pets with affection. I also loved what you said about getting chills from a poem because I had a really similar experience my senior year of high school. I’m excited to get to know you during the writing process!

4. I love Kids Baking Championship!! I stumbled across it randomly last summer and it was possibly the cutest show I’ve ever seen. I’ve never seem Hadestown or listened to the cast album, but I’ve heard a lot of great things, and I love musicals, so it’s a show I’d love to check out. I also have a tendency to work in coffee shops while blasting my own music, but I bet your tapping wasn’t as annoying as you thought it was. I never notice it in other people, and besides, I’m the loudest typer I know, so you can’t be worse than me. Looking forward to reading more of your writing this semester!