Julia

/Joo-lee-uh/ noun

1. The author of this post who had no idea how else to start it and will now continue to struggle to define herself for your entertainment

Honestly, this is maybe the fifth (?) time in the past year that I’ve been asked to “write a brief introduction of yourself.” In theory, that would make this super easy, quick, and painless. But here’s my issue: every time I’m asked to sum up my existence in a few fun facts it sparks a minor existential crisis. I don’t like introducing myself for the same reason I don’t like picking a favorite food – it feels limiting. So instead of listing off my stats (hometown, major, job, etc), I’m going to tell y’all some of the contradictions that stop me from being able to write a traditional introduction and define myself as just one thing. Who knows, maybe this will end up telling you something about me that even I can’t articulate yet. Or, maybe it will just be confusing.

But first, here’s a picture of my dog, Peanut. I think she’s looking at a squirrel.

I’ve spent my entire life in the state of Michigan, and I absolutely love it here. Yet, at the same time, I’m itching to get far away for a time (aka for grad school). As far as hobbies go, the most interesting thing that I like to do is linoleum cut printmaking – but don’t worry I haven’t carved or made a print in ages. I also truly enjoy going to for runs and working out because it helps clear my head. It’s just that the whole making myself go for a run or go to the gym is usually a painful process and the most difficult part of my day. Lately I’ve taken to the habit of pulling up games of Bejeweled when I’m feeling particularly stressed out, but in general I don’t like video games – if Bejeweled even counts as a video game?

Me, on top of a mountain by Grinelle Glacier in Montana, feeling similarly existential

I’m in the writing minor so naturally you would assume that I like writing. I don’t hate writing per se, but let’s just say that given the option to write or not to write, I would rather not write. I do, in fact, enjoy reading, but there’s a solid nine months of the year when the only reading I do is assigned. And I don’t enjoy that type of reading at all.

Well, I think that’s all I’ll say for now. I’m sorry if I didn’t give you much of an actual explanation of who I am. But let’s be honest was I ever going to?

As a consolation prize, here’s the link to my Spotify account (one of my most prized and intimate possessions). I promise it’s more enjoyable than this post.

4 thoughts to “Julia”

1. Your dog is so cute! I’m a sucker for tough-looking dogs having cute names like Peanut. I’m curious about linoleum cut print making because I don’t know exactly what that is but it sounds really cool. Also, I de-stress with Candy Crush so I can really relate to your Bejeweled habit.

2. When I had to take art class in high school, linoleum cut printmaking was my favorite medium we worked with, by a lot. I also haven’t done it in a long time, but I thought it was fun and you got me thinking about how I used to enjoy it. When you mentioned that for nine months of the year, you only do assigned reading, I totally knew the feeling. I used to love to read, and read every spare second of my time, but I don’t really anymore, and I’m sad about it too.
    Looking forward to reading more! Your post was definitely more interesting than you thought it was.

3. I can totally relate to your point of liking to read but hating that most of the reading you do is required. I struggle with that constantly as over the summer I love passing time by readings and find myself finishing a book within only a few days. However when I get to school and am required to read lengthy books about history and theories, I change my mind and decide I hate to read.

4. I really appreciate your caption for the glacier photo. I too feel exceedingly existential when gazing out at a beautiful nature scene- an experience that is not always shared by people who are just signed up to hike, not have a deep philosophical conversation on life. Also, feeling very honored to have access to your Spotify page. One of my favorite things to do is to listen to new music, so I am really excited to check it out!