Introduction to Blogging

Blogging has always played a significant role in my life. I constantly find myself scrolling through all different types of blogs: food to fashion to sports and so on. The Oxford Dictionary defines blogs as regularly updated informal web pages that are usually controlled by an individual or a small group of people. However, I find blogs to be a way for people to showcase their personality and opinions to outsiders. Regardless of what a blog may be about, the information that is shared usually shows us something about the individual writing it which is unique to this genre of writing and something that I find especially appealing. Blogs are often compared to personal diaries or journals. Additionally, blogs can cover a very wide array of topics. The only necessity is that you are passionate about what you are blogging about! Regardless of what ones interests are, they will without a doubt be able to find some sort of blog that resonates with something that they like and find interesting.

The structure of blogs is flexible. That is one of my favorite parts about this genre. You are able to make your blog unique to you! However, like for most genres, it is important that you capture your readers attention from the start so that they want to keep reading what you have written. Therefore, it is key to begin your blog with a catchy title and opening. This will introduce the reader to you as a writer and to the content that you will be blogging about. Another necessary component of a blog are images. A large block of words on a page can easily bore a reader and I know we have all experienced our fair share of that. Adding images is an easy way to engage with your reader and support the content you are writing about.

My favorite blogs to engage with are food blogs. As an avid foodie, I am always looking to try different restaurants and cuisines in all different cities. I love reading about peoples experiences at different restaurants and using these blogs to make my own eating plans when I travel to new places or am just exploring my local restaurants! These blogs allow me to connect with foodies all over the world which is something I find to be so unique and exciting. I love the pictures that many food blogs include and the detailed descriptions of what the writers favorite dishes are. I also love food blogs that include individuals recipes that they make at home. I am always looking for new recipes to try out and these food blogs give me great insight on new ideas!

I think it would be interesting to turn my origin piece about my childhood blanket into a blog. This would allow me to write about all different things relating to my blanket: stories from when I was younger, the best things about having a special childhood object, all of the places my blanket has traveled with me to and so on. I will be able to add pictures of me with my blanket from over the years which will give my readers an even greater insight into my life-long special relationship with my blanket. I am looking forward to experimenting more with this genre over the next few weeks!!

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/blog

2 thoughts to “Introduction to Blogging”

1. I think blogging will be a great genre to explore your piece about childhood! I like the freedom and range that comes along with blogging and I think this will really add to your piece!

2. This sounds like a very interesting way to engage with multiple topics relating to your blanket! I can’t wait to hopefully get to see childhood pictures in this experiment, because you’re right, everyone loves pictures and things that are easy to engage with. I wonder if there are any ways that you can try to include your favorite aspects about food blogs into your blanket blog!