When you realize you’ve been controlled by designers your entire life…

Disclaimer: I will not be attempting to control you in this blog post.

I first learned about the powers of visual imagery earlier this month. I was researching the genre of the infographic for my fist experiment in the gateway course, and since the genre is based in visual imagery, the psychology of colors appeared in my research. This was not new to me — I think we all have a basic understanding that yellow implies happiness, red:importance, green:growth, etc. But when I began to dig in deeper to the psychology of visual cues and perceptions, I discovered what could be considered the guidebook of design psychology. Colors are not the only visual cues that indicate certain emotions; the fonts, shapes, sizes, orientation, blank space, and occupied space all have preconceptions of meaning within our consciousness. Once studied, designers have the power to force a response from the viewer’s brain that coincides with how they want them to respond!

So to sum this up, mostly everything you see that has information more than likely is using design psychology, so that you can relate it to ideas and emotions you already associate its characteristics with. 

This discovery showed me that my chosen genre of the visual media  and my actual topic of the emotional effects of architecture were more alike than I realized! For example, my genre, the info-graphic, is heavily based on visual perception. Architecture is created in an aesthetic and physical way that is mostly experienced through visual cues. I think it would be great to get some architects and perception psychologists in a room together so they could discuss the best ways to make the built environment a pleasing experience.