Clichés and Metaphysics…

So cliches, as we all know, are detrimental to the impact of any and all forms of art/publications etc. And yet they can be difficult to avoid entirely, ESPECIALLY to new writers or to writers who are working on a piece where the message is not well developed. I’ve been in the position of reading old work that I wrote months or years later and cringing because of how cliche some of my choices were. The point I’m trying to make is that writers are less likely to detect their cliche choices as opposed to readers who notice almost immediately. As nauseating as it might be, I think it would be helpful for people to read their old work to spot instances where you fell into the trap of being cliche. Doing this will make you more self aware of your cliche tendencies and more likely to spot cliches as you write going forward and perhaps even stopping it before it happens.

To me personally, cliches aren’t just a symptom of weaker writing, they cause me to have a physiological stress response (I’m probably being a little dramatic). But I HATE cliches so much that even one can ruin an entire movie/book/essay or whatever to me. So yeah I have a huge problem with cliches which is especially unnerving considering the fact that the subject matter of my final project is very… “cliche prone”.

Ultimately the underlying question underneath all my factual information about dream pathology relates to how the brain constructs perceptions and what the difference is between perceptions with a physical stimulus and perceptions completely generated by our brains (hallucinations, dreams etc.). The last thing I want is for my project to resemble a “fake deep” essay on metaphysics that looks like it was made by freshman philosophy student. As much as I don’t want to admit it, my discourse of my piece is ultimately concerned with “the fundamental nature of reality” (cringe) which is essentially metaphysics. Although I love Joe Rogan, he is is a great example of someone who asks profound metaphysical questions that lack substantive depth.

I plan on including a lot lot lot of data and factual information, although this will be research intensive and time consuming, its challenges pale in comparison to the challenge of crafting a though provoking take on metaphysics that at no point way triggers an eye roll in the reader.

I think the fact that we’re writing minors relieves a lot of the ‘assignmentness’ of our writing. Hopefully this leads to less cliches and more new and authentic perspectives. To me it all comes down to authenticity, “am I truly writing my authentic novel thoughts” is a question we should all be asking going forward.