Intro to Analysis Research Papers (fun!)

When thinking of my final genre for our experiment cycles, I wanted to focus on one that would allow me to substantiate my Experiment 2 genre, a podcast script. While writing my podcast script, I strongly felt it would be the most effective way for me to communicate the message and purpose of my origin piece. However, to ameliorate my podcast script I decided I needed to really focus in on my opinions about the matter, and provide some factual analysis to prove my points. This analysis should focus on Bollywood, how Indian media portrays women in other films, and a connection between how women in Indian society are treated and valued. Here’s where analytical research papers come in. 

Analytical research papers come from an unanswered question that leads to exploration of a larger subject. In my experiment, my unanswered question is as follows: How does Bollywood’s portrayal of women in media influence the way everyday Indian women are seen? To answer, I would evaluate primary and secondary sources to create a holistic view of the topic at hand. A full compilation of research then leads into creating a thesis that may or may not match the hypothesis I’ve had all of my life (a.k.a, Bollywood’s portrayal of women sexualizes them in an awful way).

That being said, one of the largest and only conventions of analysis research papers is using reliable and acclaimed primary and secondary sources to build an effective, logic-based argument (and citing these sources using MLA!). 

Another important aspect of analysis research papers to consider is the audience as it heavily sways the diction, style, and tone of your writing. If my paper was going to be sent to a group of South Asian study professors, I would be writing in a much more topicalized and specific manner than I would to our Writing 220 class. Since our class does not have much background with my topic, the sexualization of women in Indian media, a lot of my research and analysis will tie into explaining context as well. 

Some other conventions of analysis research papers to consider are avoiding basing your argument on opinions, writing in the present tense, and using MLA citations. Additionally (and almost too obviously), a writer should not be focusing on literary devices or artistic flow in their writing, but rather concision, a logical-flow, and a tone that helps create the purpose of their paper. In general, there are not many other conventions of analysis research papers since the paper itself is so individualized. 

When looking at examples of other analysis research papers, I stumbled upon one titled “Intimate Terrors: Changing Representation of Structural Violence Against Women in Malayali Cinema” written by a fourth-year undergraduate student (Rajiv Menon) at The George Washington University. In this analysis research paper, Menon uses an objective tone in discussing “Bollywoodization”, a byproduct of globalization and migration in the late 1900s that redefined Indian media to be more Western, engaging, and transnational. This piece included all conventions of an analysis research paper–not including opinions frequently, using the present tense and MLA, being concise, easy to read, and logical, and using reliable sources. Also, reading this example piece gave me some really insightful information on my own paper that I will be using 🙂

Although in my opinion it isn’t the most exciting, I think this genre will allow me to really collect solid evidence for the podcast I want to create so I’m looking forward to dive deeper into this subject.

3 thoughts to “Intro to Analysis Research Papers (fun!)”

1. Sunitha, this seems like the perfect genre to do more content research to improve your podcast script. It will be interesting to see if you learn anything you didn’t know before about this topic that will alter your argument in any way! It seems like a great way to strengthen your knowledge about a subject you care about.

2. I really like that you are finding a way for this experiment and your second one to play off of each other, I think it is a great choice of genre! Although you say that you don’t think this genre will be the most exciting, I think that you will definitely find it interesting because you know that it will be going towards your podcast and on a topic that you are interested in. Do you think you will use this research paper directly as part of the script for your podcast, or do you plan to incorporate aspects of both samples into a final piece? I am really excited to see how this goes!

3. It sounds like your plan for this experiment perfectly complements what you’ve been working on so far. Conducting this research will definitely give you a greater wealth of information to pull from when working with things like your podcast script. It sounds like you’ve already found some articles centered around your topic, so hopefully you will be able to find more things to help expand your knowledge on the topic. I commend your desire to learn more and then use that to generate your opinion and present it to others.