Introduction to a Children’s Book

When I think back to my childhood, I immediately recall the abundant amount of children’s books that I read. Whether it was alone in my bedroom, before bed time with my mom and dad or in my classrooms with my classmates, I was a sucker for books. Children’s literature consists of works such as stories, books, and poems that are produced solely for the enjoyment of young children. The stories told in children’s books are expected to teach their young readers something, whether it be something simple such as a letter of the alphabet or a color of the rainbow or something more complex such as lessons about treating people nicely or the importance of having good manners. Additionally, children’s books often evoke a sense of emotion on their readers. Children should be able to connect with the stories that they read on an emotional level which should in turn encourage them to read it over and over again.

Pictures play a large role in children’s books. The pictures in a children’s book should be able to tell a story just as well as the actual words of the story can. Children are very easily attracted towards pictures and enjoy analyzing all of the details that a picture consists of. As a result, a children’s book that contains several detailed images will usually attract a child’s attention.

I don’t think it was possible for me to pick only one favorite children’s book as a kid. I had many favorites. But one book that I continue to think back to and clearly remember my past appreciation for is Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. My parents used to read me this book every night before I went to sleep when I was a young girl. And you may think that I got bored of hearing the same story over and over again every night but that was not the case. I would cry when my parents would tell me that story time was over and that it was time to go to sleep because I just wanted them to keep on reading Goodnight Moon over and over again. I was drawn towards both the pictures and the words. It was the perfect bedtime story.

Many children have special objects that they sleep with nightly, whether that object is a blanket, a stuffed animal, a pillow or so on. I think if I wrote a children’s book that told a story about a little girl and her blanket it would reach a very broad audience. This story will be based off of my own childhood experiences with my blanket. I hope that this story will show children who may feel embarrassed about having something that they cannot sleep without that this is normal and totally acceptable to have. I also hope that children can engage with both the pictures that I include and the story that I share in this book. I am excited to give this experiment a go!

2 thoughts to “Introduction to a Children’s Book”

1. I also loved books when I was little so I think writing one as a now adult will be a super fun experience and a great way to explore your topic!!

2. I think that this idea fits very well with the content of your origin piece! I’m curious whether some of the story elements from your fairy tale will factor into the children’s book or whether you plan to write a whole new story? As far as content research goes, I think that it would be helpful to look back at what aspects of Goodnight Moon made it your favorite and what aspects of other children’s books made them so emotional or appealing – hopefully you’ll fine things that you can incorporate into your own!