Introduction to the genre of Children’s Books.

For my final genre experiment, I have decided to explore the genre of Children’s Books. As I reflect back on my childhood, bedtime books were my favorite part of the day. Every night my parents would read me my three favorite books and I would fall right asleep. These books consisted of “Franny B. Kranny, There’s a Bird in Your Hair,” “We’re Going on a Bear Hunt,” and “Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse.” Not only were these stories a huge part of my childhood experience, but my brother and sister both loved the same three books—we still talk about them at family dinners and parties! The reason I have decided to explore the genre of children’s books is because I feel as if my knowledge of the children’s book culture is unfinished! I started my research in high school when I started to create my own book about being Gluten-Free, but it never took off due to the college application process and my involvement in clubs and organizations throughout my high school years! I never really took the time to learn about the background of the this genre and the different aspects of what goes into creating a children’s book. Through this project, I would love to share some of the work I created as a high school student, and expand on it now as a junior in college…four years later. 

Children’s Books have many different genres within them. As I learned through this source, all of these different genres can compliment a children’s book in their own unique way. Starting with classic picture books, picture story books, and traditional literature—including folktales, fairy tales, fables, legends, myths. Next is historical fiction, modern fantasy, realistic fiction, non-fiction, informational books, biography, poetry and drama! Something that encouraged me to choose the children book genre is that before this experiment, my previous experiment was about the fairytale genre. I realized at the end of this experiment that the idea of a children’s story excited me, but because my origin piece is about a very serious, life-changing moment in my life—I wanted to be more real when discussing my experience, without incorporating a fairy or a villain in my story. Although a children’s story still has a young voice—real information can be portrayed, as I will not be talking in the fairytale language. The genre within the overall genre of children’s books that I hope to explore is Picture Books, which are Children’s books that provide a “visual experience.” I hope to include digital images and illustrations in making my children’s book an online book, as technology is so important today.

Lastly, as I approach diving into this genre—I wanted to know some facts on what makes a good children’s book. The Write Practice, which is written by a bestselling children’s book author explains what exactly distinguishes a mediocre children’s book and a great children’s book. The following three things really intrigued me and inspired me to start my writing this book. These include— strong characters who evoke strong emotion, a story that teaches, and mind-expanding illustrations, vocabulary or concepts! I am excited to begin my children’s book journey that I never got to finish, and for all of you to experience my gluten-free journey with me! 🙂

http://www.breitlinks.com/my_libmedia/children%27s_genres.htm

4 thoughts to “Introduction to the genre of Children’s Books.”

1. Hey again!

This is the third time we’ve been in a group together now! It’s been really interesting watching your origin piece transform throughout the semester and I think this addresses all the best parts of your last genre in a happier way.

Personally, I think your origin piece worked really well as a fairytale, so I am super intrigued at the prospect of it becoming a children’s book! I like the notion of not vilifying your experience this time around. It seems more kid-friendly this way, but it also served as a really nice way of uplifting and characterizing something a kid might view as a hindrance. I’m curious on as to which genre you will pick now! I am torn between the fairytale and the children’s book!

All the best,
    Tatiyana

2. Isabelle,
    I think a children’s book is a great genre for this project, especially since a lot of people who are gluten free are young and could use a story that speaks to them rather than being full of technical information above their heads. I also love the idea of making it a picture book and the idea that you’re going back to an idea you’ve had since high school and always wanted to pursue! I like the idea of making a story without a real “villain” as many children’s stories are oversimplified that way, but I think you have a good idea of how to make it nuanced while still accessible to kids.

3. I did children’s book as my first genre and what I felt was lacking in mine was an agency to translate my more adult experiences into something for children. However, your journey with being gluten-free is something that has impacted your whole life and I think you can put yourself in the shoes of a little girl who grapples with what makes her different. I really struggled with the illustrations, so I am really excited to see how you make your picture book! I think doing a children’s book still gives you the creative freedom of a fairytale, but doesn’t force you to exaggerate or fantasize very real events that happened to you.

4. Very interested to see how your personal journey is reflected in the genre of a children’s book! You mention that you want to make the platform of the book primarily online, how will this change the formatting of the story? Excited to see where this goes!