The Power of Editing

As I started to edit out different portions of the interviews, I began to realize how much power I possessed as an editor. In my mind, I was editing out things that didn’t seem central to the ideas of my podcast or strayed too far away from my questions, but I wondered how I was changing the perception of these interviewees. Especially because this topic is very abstract, I didn’t want their answers that sometimes didn’t answer them head on to make them look bad. I understood that this topic is difficult to speak on, but I wondered if other people who would listen to my podcast would be critical of the people I interviewed. I also saw that my own idea of what I want the podcast to sound like and the direction I would like it to go was already putting it through a biased lens. It’s funny how I started this project with a great desire to do a podcast in order to heard other people’s perspective, but in the end, my product will always been filtered through my own interpretations and conclusions, even if the original interviewee didn’t intend their message to be taken that way.

This especially made me cautious when I would write my small reflection segments that came at the end of the interviews, essentially summing up my main take away before introducing the next person. Although people know that because I wrote these questions and edited this podcast, it would have my bias, it also made me think about other podcasts that I normally listen to. At times, when an “expert” is talking, it’s easy for me to nod my head and trust that what they are saying is true if they have the trustworthy credentials. However, although I was aware of production editing out different parts, as I edited different parts together, there were times when they sounded as if two ideas were spoken one after the other when I really just spliced them together. It made me wonder how this is employed in professional podcasts or media in general, since I’ve seen for myself how I am able to combine or cut out phrases that doesn’t reflect the original way it was spoken.