Writing 220 and Everything Beyond

One of the reasons I’ve always loved my writing classes, both in college and in high school, is that learning happens and I’m never consciously aware of it. It’s so easy to say that English classes don’t teach you anything besides how to write an essay the night before it’s due, but even if you take that approach, I firmly believe that there is some inherent learning in that. The best learning is done through practice, and that is exactly what writing classes are made of.

For example, in my AP English Language and Composition class in high school, every week consisted of practice essays for the three forms we would be tested on in April. Even though it felt grueling and repetitive, the skills I internalized that year stayed with me and allows me to put forth quality writing without thinking too much into the details and nuances as I used to.

This class has been different in that there wasn’t a set list of skills we were expected to master by the end of the semester. Starting off, I was worried that without this specificity, I would slack off (I guess in a way I did with these blog posts). But I found myself getting so excited for my project and creating something that is entirely my own. The flexibility and freedom given to us this semester relieved a sense of stress that I usually feel in my classes, of having to fit into a box of standards that aren’t built for everyone in the first place. I know that this same freedom will not come in my other classes, but I hope I can still translate the passion and drive of this class to create something special into my other classes by, while still sticking to their standards and rubrics, stretching them as far as I can with how I want to do things.