Writing 420: My Best Advice

During my time in the capstone course, I learned a few things.

I was always overwhelmed by the possibilities. There were so many suggestions coming my way, so many things that I wanted to try. But, I quickly realized that I couldn’t do it all. There comes a time when you’ll have to sit down and decide what you want to spend the semester writing about, what form you want it to take, and what you want the project site to look like. The sooner you do that, the better off you’ll be.

The best thing that I did for myself was choosing a project that I was passionate about. Doing the work never felt like work to me because I was enjoying myself as I did it. Everyone in my capstone class had such different projects, but the one thing they all had in common was a passion that inspired them.

I found that immersing myself in my peers projects was extremely beneficial. Workshop days are the best because you get to see everyone else’s projects developing. I learned so much from workshop days, even when it wasn’t my work being discussed. When looking at your peers work, you can see first hand what works well and what doesn’t. Then, you can apply it to your own project. You can learn just as much, if not more, from reading, critiquing, and supporting the processes of your classmates.

I definitely had my hiccups along the way, but I am so proud of the work that my classmates and I produced. I couldn’t have done it without them.

So, future capstone students….

Good luck. I believe in you.