Capstone Class 1: Where do we go from here???

Me, colorized, following day 1

Overwhelmed is a complete understatement if I’m being quite honest. So much is happening right now, from classes starting again, to it being my final year and all the stress that comes with that, i.e. what the hell am I going to do after May 2??? But, we’re not going to talk about all that right now. Well, I guess you’re not talking (I mean you could totally comment and maybe help me figure out what I should do for this project), but anyway I’m going to be talking about my pitches. And cursing myself for being actually really interested in all of them. Since one thing that was apparent from the pitches is that I really wanted to include a photos (and a lot of them) somehow, I’m going to be putting a lot of photos in this blog post, so bear with me.

And without further ado: pitch #1.

So you’re probably wondering: what’s up with the goggles and random awkward teenage girls (I’m the one in the upper right hand corner by the way)? Well, this is my visual representation of a totally nerdy project. And while I don’t actually need to wear scientific goggles for this one, it definitely requires a lot more work than my high school chemistry class did. You probably guessed it by now, but my first pitch idea involves writing a meta-analytic research article.

I think it would be really cool to try and sort of meld the two types of writing I’ve been focusing on lately: fictional novel and psychology thesis. I’ve been on-and-off writing a novel about romance and of course heartbreak. And I’m also writing a thesis on PTSD for my senior year. So, my first pitch seemed obvious to me: write a research/review article examining the role of different areas of the brain in love and social pain. Some feedback I got from this was to try and make it more interactive or personal, and one way we thought about this was to somehow incorporate interviews from people that are in love and people that are experiencing heartbreak. This new addition to this piece definitely makes my life harder because it only makes choosing just one pitch so hard.

But, the show must go on, as they say, and because I don’t want to bore you all to death I’m just gonna combine pitches #2 and #3 into one since they are so similar anyway. (And honestly if I were to pick either of them, I’d probably just do both and you’ll see what I mean in a second).

So, here’s pitch #2.99999999999

So, if you couldn’t already tell, this pitch is all about ME (Travis kinda stole my limelight in the last pic, but that was the most recent pic of myself so oh well)! Now before this gets way too narcissistic and boring, I just want to assure you that it’s not. Phew. Now that that’s out of the way, we can talk shop, as it were.

For these ideas, I really want to go back all the way, to day 1, Aug. 15 1998 and pick out pictures that kind of highlight my biggest moments, both good and bad, and then hopefully find writings from those time periods to show how I was really feeling. Then editing these images to kind of express those moods through size, shape, coloring, orientation, etc. and writing about how I feel about them now. This was basically pitch 2. Pitch 3 was to post a picture to Instagram everyday and write a short bit of writing to go along with that to document my final semester here at Michigan.

My goal in combining these two is to kind of create a more holistic final product, showcasing my own growth as a person and writer. Additionally I would like to write a reflective piece at the end to examine and talk about how documenting everything may have changed the way I experienced them. To make this even more of a multi-media project, as kind of a small addition, I think it would also be cool to find songs from each time period that help express how I was feeling at that time and include those on the site!

As, I’m writing this I’m thinking maybe this is a bit too self-centered, even though I promised it wouldn’t be. So maybe another idea could be to have a friend do this (posting everyday) with me and then I could interview her about her experience with it and compare it to my own, or something to that effect.

Phew, almost done! And pitch #4, let me just warn you is a total oddball.

No, this is not another pitch to write about myself. However, I thought the face-paint I have on in this picture symbolizes what I had in mind for this final pitch: a sci-fi/fantasy novel. Like I said, this idea is totally different, totally out of my comfort zone, and also really interesting, maybe because it’s so different. This idea really did just come out of nowhere, but I thought it might be cool to write about an alternate reality where college is kind of seen as a waste of time and money and the protagonist is a biology/pre-med major. I think this idea intrigues me because I think this character might echo how I felt being a first generation college student and constantly feeling like I wasn’t good enough.

Anyway, that was a lot of writing. And I’m still not sure if I’m any closer to narrowing it down to just one idea, but hopefully tomorrow’s class will help.

Stay Tuned!

One thought to “Capstone Class 1: Where do we go from here???”

1. So what I got from this is that you are 10000% in a better place than I am. Like these ideas are so flushed out and I’m just excited to see which direction you go in. I did the same thing kind of merging two of my four ideas together so secretly rooting for that one for you too 🙂