Let Me Paint the Picture for You

Looking at my four pitches, there are three things that can be easily discerned:

1. I want to do something more creative and of personal value rather than academic or practical for resume-building.
  2. I am a poet, an observer, a nostalgic, and a lover of stories.
  3. If it doesn’t have a semi-catchy title already in the works, it’s not for me.

When I think about it, none of those things really surprise me about my work, and that’s an exciting (and intimidating) place to be as a writer. It means I know myself – or, at least, I’m getting closer to – but it also means that there’s no arguing with the grinning child in me who demands more paint rather than a nice pencil.

So, all I can do is sigh.

But, truly, I think it will be alright. Talking through my ideas with my partner helped me understand the situation for what it was: a passion project. And if I’m not “all in” about what I’m making, I’m probably going to struggle more than if I had undertaken the thing my heart was set on in the first place.

Taking another look at my pitches, something that is less discernable (but still strikingly evident to a perceptive eye) is that two or three of my four pitches are all getting at the same thing: I want to write and share my stories – either as poetry, creative nonfiction, or both. I want to revisit the experiences that have shaped me, and I want to believe that I am as important as to have learned something worth sharing from the short life I’ve lived thus far.

So, call me conceited. Call me reflective.

Call me thrilled.

Whatever you call me, please allow 3-5 business days for a response.

After all, you can’t expect to interrupt an artist when they’re elbows-deep in their work.

5 thoughts to “Let Me Paint the Picture for You”

1. I feel like I can really relate to this in my goals for this project and in my reflections for myself. I feel like I too am getting a bit closer to understanding who I am as a writer (i don’t know if I’ll ever truly figure it all out though). I’m excited for you to begin this passion project and can’t wait to see what masterpiece you come up with!!

2. I really don’t know you at all at this point, so I feel like I can safely say from a pretty objective standpoint, just reading this piece, that you really should share your stories. This post in itself is engaging and compelling, and while I don’t know that much about the specifics of the stories you want to tell or how you want to tell them, I’m optimistic that they are definitely something worth sharing.

3. Hi Alexis! I feel the same way about this project – I’ve done so many academic projects throughout my time here at that I want to use this more as a passion project. I didn’t really label it as that until I read your post just now; but I realized while reading it, that’s exactly how I feel as well. I love that the MiW allows for us to achieve this creativity in a way that most other places on campus don’t. Of course, there’s a space for academics (and there definitely still is here!) but I love that our possibilities are endless. I’m excited to see how both of our projects turn out!

4. I’m in a very similar boat!!! I’m thinking about taking my project in a much more creative direction, and it made me feel super intimidated to hear other pitches that seemed to academically impressive. But it’s something that I’m passionate about, and something that you seem passionate about, too, so no fear. We’re all in this together!

5. Okay so 1. I feel you on the title dilemma… if it doesn’t come easy I don’t normally follow through with the piece which is so backwards but whatever and 2. I love the idea of being a selfish writer that you’re touching on. Sharing your stories about what you want to put out in the world without having to be prompted by some set of confining rubrics and I think it is the perfect way to look at the Capstone.

Really excited to see where this takes you!!