Reflection: What In The World Is My Project Going to Be On???

Finding a topic that I’m passionate about and not going to get bored of for the next 4 months is daunting! I want it to be meaningful, personal yet also academic and significant. I want to learn about subjects and topics I know nothing about yet also connect it back to my life. It’s a tricky balance and I still don’t know what topic is going to do both for me.

Me rn. Also obsessing over this season of the bachelor sadly :/ so thought this worked pretty perfectly

Talking with my group members was a really awesome experience. I loved listening to their ideas as it inspired to dig deeper in myself and find something more personal to me. My group members had mostly personal topics that made me want to turn mine more personal as it will be something more signifiant to my life. I liked explaining my ideas to them but they also felt a little to rigid and academic to me. One of my topics about exploring modern love on campus and in our world was the most personal, yet I couldn’t concisely find a way or a theme to string a whole 4 month project along. So yes, I’m still in the brainstorming mode and marinating with a lot of different ideas I have.

The one main thing I’m trying to grapple with as I begin my last semester is my impact on this world, as one human being, and the legacy I will leave not only on University of Michigan but the rest of my life. It’s SCARY to think about and makes me rethink and reflect on a lot of what I have done here. I’m putting a lot of pressure on this project and my topic as I feel like this is one clear way I can distinctly make an impact and create something significant that I can show to interviewers, employers, family, friends and be something awesome that I can point to and display after my 4 years.

3 thoughts to “Reflection: What In The World Is My Project Going to Be On???”

1. I get where you’re coming from. I’m also struggling to figure out how to make my project have a greater impact on the world around me. I really like the modern love idea! Not only does it sound super cool, but the idea of involving other people in your project makes that greater impact than if it was just something you did solo. As long as it’s something you’re passionate about, I wouldn’t worry too much. You’re already off to a great start. Good luck!

2. Sophia – I had a very similar experience when talking to my group members. I think it’s great that you’re upfront about the weight and potential uncertainty of this project. You also bundled it in a great attitude and good sense of humor, which I love.

It’s probably fair to say every concern you expressed is shared to some degree by the rest of the class (at least.. I know I shared a lot of the same concerns), but I think facing them now, head on, and (arguably most importantly) in a group setting will ultimately help you develop an amazing project. Looking forward to what you come up with!

3. Thinking about leaving a unique legacy literally always sends me into some form of an existential crisis so I really feel you on this one. In a way I feel like this Capstone is kind of a last ditch effort for me in that sense but I’m trying not to put that much pressure on it at the same time. Idk trying to find that happy medium I guess??