Trying to figure this out

Hearing everyone’s pitches the other day was exciting. And nerve racking. And stressful. It’s really hard not to compare my ideas to others, especially when they’re impressive and scholarly and academic. I’m just sitting there like:

because I want to write stories!!! Well, kind of. I want to read my stories and essays out loud, record them, and make it like a podcast series. But the idea of just using my own work and recording myself seemed a little self-centered and weird, so I plan to open it up to friends, and even the public, who want their work to be spoken into existence, too. It’s going to be interesting. I don’t know how many people want to share their writing with me, let alone have it be part of a project. What if no one wants to participate?? I’m worried, but I think it’s all going to be okay. These things have a habit of resolving themselves in due time. I know I’m surrounded by closeted writers who just need a little convincing, because I used to be one of them.

Also this proposal seems scary. It’s really looming in the back of my mind. But we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

3 thoughts to “Trying to figure this out”

1. Hi Hannah! I’m really excited to see what you do with this podcast series. Are you planning to have a unifying theme, or are any stories fair game? Do you think you’ll lean more towards non-fiction stories/personal narratives, or fiction? I think audio as a medium is so beautiful and humanizing, and it’s even more so when people are reading their own work, so I can’t wait to listen to your project. Also, this line — “I know I’m surrounded by closeted writers who just need a little convincing, because I used to be one of them” — really resonated with me. It can be hard to admit to yourself that you’re a writer — took me a long time to do that too.

2. Definitely feeling the same way you are and love your kris jenner to picture as a visual. So relatable! I think your idea is really awesome and creative. I’m intrigued to see how other people, not in the writing minor, react to reading their work out loud. For us minors I feel like it comes as second nature but for others it could be super uncomfortable for them.

3. Hannah,

I love your idea! I, too, want to do something story-related, and I think a podcast/series sounds like an excellent idea. Also, have you heard of “The Moth”? I haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet, but a friend recommended it to me, and their description sounded a lot like what your project could become. It might be worth taking a listen to gain some inspiration!

Additionally, I think we’re all varying degrees of nervous-but-excited when it comes to this project/process, so I can’t take away your worry, but hopefully it helps to know that everybody’s in kind of the same zone. We’ll get through this together! I’m excited to work with/alongside you this semester!

Alexis